Biab Bag Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peted27

Reaction score
Has anyone built a rack or stand to sit above their urn to allow easy draining of the bag without hoisting or breaking their back??

was thinking of building a small stand, taking my old big w stock pot or a bucket and drilling heeps of holes in it (like the bucket in bucket mash tun), then just sit the bag in it over the urn to drain while i start the boil.

was just throwing this out there to see if it had been done before and if anyone had advice / tips on best way to build...

once the bag is in the bucket above the urn, should allow for easy sparging (never sparged with BIAB, but could be worth a try)..

That sounds like a good option to me. I'm faced with the same problem at the moment and I have a mate helping put a BIAB brew stand together, this gives me some good ideas.

I can't imagine drilling through that pot would be too fun. Trying to find something similar with a mesh bottom may be the way to go.

Has anyone built a rack or stand to sit above their urn to allow easy draining of the bag without hoisting or breaking their back??

was thinking of building a small stand, taking my old big w stock pot or a bucket and drilling heeps of holes in it (like the bucket in bucket mash tun), then just sit the bag in it over the urn to drain while i start the boil.

was just throwing this out there to see if it had been done before and if anyone had advice / tips on best way to build...

once the bag is in the bucket above the urn, should allow for easy sparging (never sparged with BIAB, but could be worth a try)..

For BIAB, I use a stainless mesh basket (I steal my old man's yabbie cooker over winter) which drops into my 40 litre mash tun/boil pot. I just put the brew bag inside the mesh basket and mash as usual. Come mash end time, I lift the whole basket out by the handle, put an oven rack over the boil pot and sit the basket on top to drain. I usually mash around 15 litres of water (depending on the recipe) and do a sparge of sorts on it by slowly tipping sparge water all over the surface as it drains. Efficiency is pretty consistent and significantly higher than what I get from a standard BIAB.

Bit agricultural and I won't win any "best practice" awards, but it got me into AG and I'm stoked with the results. And it beats dealing with the bag directly.

Hope it at least gives you some ideas. :)

For BIAB, I use a stainless mesh basket (I steal my old man's yabbie cooker over winter) which drops into my 40 litre mash tun/boil pot. I just put the brew bag inside the mesh basket and mash as usual. Come mash end time, I lift the whole basket out by the handle, put an oven rack over the boil pot and sit the basket on top to drain. I usually mash around 15 litres of water (depending on the recipe) and do a sparge of sorts on it by slowly tipping sparge water all over the surface as it drains. Efficiency is pretty consistent and significantly higher than what I get from a standard BIAB.

Bit agricultural and I won't win any "best practice" awards, but it got me into AG and I'm stoked with the results. And it beats dealing with the bag directly.

yeah the oven rack on top is a good idea, might be easier to go down that road then building a dedicated stand...

That's awesome. Got any pics?

Liberating it from the kitchen when SWMBO isn't looking this the tricky part... ;)

No pics right now Mark^*******, but I'll take some on the weekend and throw them up.

Just this afternoon I have finally finished my BIAB setup that is similar to what you describe.
I have a 75L pot that is 450x450 and also a mesh basket that is 400x400. Basket has two tubes welded to the outside. The idea is when mash is complete, raise basket with bag and grain inside, rest on top of pot with pins through the tubes. I will take some pict tonight when I run a test boil. Its a bit over the top but I'm happy with it.

Just this afternoon I have finally finished my BIAB setup that is similar to what you describe.
I have a 75L pot that is 450x450 and also a mesh basket that is 400x400. Basket has two tubes welded to the outside. The idea is when mash is complete, raise basket with bag and grain inside, rest on top of pot with pins through the tubes. I will take some pict tonight when I run a test boil. Its a bit over the top but I'm happy with it.

a basket that goes in the mash under the bag isnt for me, just makes things even heavier and hotter, a basket that sits on top of the urn that i chuck the bag into after mashing is the go i think

Heres a screenshot of the drawing I used to design the setup. A bit dull but you get the idea.
Mesh has 2mm perforations so the bag will be required in the basket.
Should be able to do a sparge of sorts by pouring water over the grain to make up to full volume.
The volumes and heights are set to allow a bouble batch If I ever need to.
The pot itself is 2mm 316 S/S so it can support the pins and weight of the grain and water easily.

brewpotsetrup.jpg

a basket that goes in the mash under the bag isnt for me, just makes things even heavier and hotter, a basket that sits on top of the urn that i chuck the bag into after mashing is the go i think

A basket that does away with needing a bag would be ultimate IMO.

I know what you mean about it being hard to hoist as it'd only be draining out the bottom but I've noticed my bag only drains out the bottom too, in fact liquid collects on top of the grain bed even after hoisting the bag, and the bloody thing weighs a lot. It's easy if I have my urn closer to the ground but when it's higher up the grain bag lifting is annoying. With a rigid insert you'd be able to lift it more easily mechanically I reckon.

I know what you mean about it being hard to hoist as it'd only be draining out the bottom but I've noticed my bag only drains out the bottom too, in fact liquid collects on top of the grain bed even after hoisting the bag, and the bloody thing weighs a lot. It's easy if I have my urn closer to the ground but when it's higher up the grain bag lifting is annoying. With a rigid insert you'd be able to lift it more easily mechanically I reckon.

Yeah that would be the ideal I reckon, no bag at all.

I find its actually easier to lift the bag out with the basket than without it. It weighs bugger all and the handle sits up so it doesn't get hot. But dropping the bag into a basket post-mash would work too I reckon.

wouldn't be that hard, just find some mesh with the right aperature then braze onto the bottom, the only thing is would the scientific sieve mesh be the right type of steel (would it leech etc)?

Yes.

Here's the bottom:

A sheet of ply sits over the feet, then a milk crate sits on that, then the urn sits on that.

IMG_1980.jpg

Here's the top:

IMG_1981.jpg

The poles slide apart for easy storage.

(ive painted the whole thing black since those pics were taken)

I have a rolled ring to sit inside my mesh basket to block the side holes. I will attempt to fit a false bottom onto the base of the basket to remove the need for the bag.
I asked all these questions a while ago as I wanted to remove the need for the bag, however most feedback was that it would not work. I will basically be trial and error brewing for a few batched to see if I can remove the bag all together.

Heres a screenshot of the drawing I used to design the setup. A bit dull but you get the idea.
Mesh has 2mm perforations so the bag will be required in the basket.
Should be able to do a sparge of sorts by pouring water over the grain to make up to full volume.
The volumes and heights are set to allow a bouble batch If I ever need to.
The pot itself is 2mm 316 S/S so it can support the pins and weight of the grain and water easily.

brewpotsetrup.jpg
Hi, I already do something similar, bag in a SS Basket. My system is a gas fired BIAB RIMS with a hot water rinse. Pic off basket attached.
Pics are part of my earlier attempts, the rig has progressed since these pics where taken, no more milk crates - Cheers

100_0624__Small_.JPG

100_0625__Small_.JPG

Guys,

This THING

is the ultimate BIAB/RIM device..... only 8500 EUR + postage. Start saving or buildind now

Cheers growler.

Back