Biab Bag Mouldy - What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
I recently spent hours making a BIAB bag and after my first brew with the new bag somehow managed to forget about the bag, still filled with grain, for 4 days. As a result it had spots of mould all over it. I've soaked in sodium percorbonate and put it through the washing machine a few times and have got rid of almost all the spots but some are left. Other than continuing with my current soak/wash routine is there anything else anyone can suggest?

The only comment I could find after AHB and google searches was a comment in the AHB BIAB thread where someone had the same issue and sodium percarbonate was suggested and a bleach solution discouraged. The outcome wasn't mentioned.

I really want to brew this weekend for the B.A.D. club meeting coming up soon so would it be a really bad idea to use this bag if it has any traces of mould?

Boil it for a while in a pot. you may just be seeing the staining from the mould on the bag now you have given it a decent clean.

Be aware the mould may have weakened the material, and it could rip/tear/make a bloody big mess if it busts... :unsure:

I recently spent hours making a BIAB bag and after my first brew with the new bag somehow managed to forget about the bag, still filled with grain, for 4 days. As a result it had spots of mould all over it. I've soaked in sodium percorbonate and put it through the washing machine a few times and have got rid of almost all the spots but some are left. Other than continuing with my current soak/wash routine is there anything else anyone can suggest?

The only comment I could find after AHB and google searches was a comment in the AHB BIAB thread where someone had the same issue and sodium percarbonate was suggested and a bleach solution discouraged. The outcome wasn't mentioned.

I really want to brew this weekend for the B.A.D. club meeting coming up soon so would it be a really bad idea to use this bag if it has any traces of mould?

I'd be boiling it and then hanging in direct sunshine for a few days, and then repeating the process till no mold is left

wash it like normal, maybe add some napisan/sodium P in the wash as well and then use it. mould pre boil isn't something of concern in my view.

Throw it out and build a mash tun :p

I forgot about my one once for a few days and it had a few spots of mould on it, this is what I did
- rinsed it until it was free from any grain
- soak in oxyper
- wash in washing machine
- soak in bleach solution
- boil
- wash in washing machine again

overkill? Perhaps, but no mould on the bag now and no infected brews either.

BIAB is cheap, just chuck the bag and get a new one. No need to risk your future batches.

Anything that survives 60 minutes of boiling deserves to eat your beer. I say just use it :beerbang: .

I had a similar thing happen. The bag was covered with spots of mould. I soaked it in a cheap brand of napisan for about a week. Changing the solution every 2 or 3 days and giving it a good rinse and scrub. That cleaned it right up.

:icon_cheers:
EK

Boil it in water in your kettle for 60 mins, chuck in some hops at 60, 30, 15, 10 (+Whirlfloc) and zero. Ferment as normal. In essence you are killing two birds with one stone. You get to clean your bag and brew a BIAB tasting beer at the same time! :lol:
Cheers
Steve

How much does a new bag cost........is it really worth the time, effort and chemical costs mucking about with it ???

How much does a new bag cost........is it really worth the time, effort and chemical costs mucking about with it ???

apparently they have to sew sequins on them

bleach it and leave it in the sun to dry
I'm with QldKev, clean/boil it like others have suggested, but then give it a good soak in acidified bleach (10ml bleach/vinegar in 5L water), after that hang it on the clothes line for a few days to let the UV get anything else.
If you've not killed all the bugs after that ... well like Nick JD said, it deserves to eat your beer. :)

Mold spores and mycelium are another word for yeast nutrient.

I found out that the 3M scrubber I use to clean out my "kettle" has been the same scrubber the missus has been using to clean the poop off the floor grating of our Galah's cage.

Yeast nutrient. :D

Back