BIAB and other questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadMurderer

Reaction score
So folks not to sound like a stuck record but I'm arriving from Beijing to Melbourne and staying with a mate. I want to get back into brewing (my experience is 6+ months AG, 3 vessel) BUT I'll be on a budget, don't want to fill her house with brewing equipment and I'm not used to the climate of Oz. I've read PistolPatch's 'A Guide To All-grain Brewing In A Bag' amongst other sources and amended one of my brewing instructions document to compensate for the change in technique, I get the idea and it sounds like the best way to get back in easy and quickly.

A few questions for you fine people then:

1) I was looking to buy a stainless steel (or equivalent) 50L stock pot, where would you suggest I purchase this if buying new? Also what are the recomendations on a gas burner as this is probably the route I will take? (My setup back home is a modified brew pot with kettle element) I'll be keeping my eye's on Buy/Sell threads here and also Gumtree, eBay, etc as I'm more than open to second hand. Off the top of your head what budget should I be looking at from scratch for the initial setup (fermentation vessel, pot, burner, etc)?

2) My main concern about the actual brewing process is the mash and maintaining the temperature. Wrapping the pot in bedding/sleeping bag seems fair enough but it just doesn't seem thorough enough, any suggestions on how to improve?

3) I'd like to try kegging as bottling can be a pain in the arse but this seems to require a good amount of equipment, including a fridge, would I be advised to stick to bottling for now?

4) The fridge question pops up again as the heat in Oz is not what I'm used to back home (20C in Scotland is a hot day!) so am I advised to get a fridge for the fermentation or just adjust my brews to what can be done in higher temperatures?

Question No.1 has like 3 questions in it so apologies for that but it's probably the most important really. I'm keen as mustard to get back into brewing when I arrive hence the post, all advice is much appreciated even if it's "Whoaa there sonny!". ;)

Right, in terms of question 1) I've done more digging to get a price in mind for NEW kit (second hand welcome).

Looks like I can get a 50L stock pot on eBay new for $90 (+$25 delivery).

This thread got me onto the Keg King gas burner for $130.

I'm also looking at 'Grain and Grape' for buying new brew kit (again I'll happily take second hand but these guys are local) and a rough total for what I'd want intially would be around $150 (I'm talking here about brew bag, fermentation bucket, sanitiser, hydrometer, etc).

So first whack of cash would be around $400 for brand new stuff, does this sound fair? (I'm not used to the value of the Aussie dollar but in Pounds that's around 220, ideally I want to be paying less)

EDIT: I've also looked into the possibility of using a 40L urn for around $280 brand new but the pot/gas seems cheaper alternative...

This is what I would do.....buy a fermenter from bunnings, get a fridge from gumtree (I got mine for free from gumtree), buy a Stc-1000 from eBay to control the fridge.

By your bag/hydro/pbw/starsan/misc supplies from one of the site sponsors.

A converted keg makes a fine kettle with a no weld element.

You will have plenty of change from $400 to put towards kegs/taps etc.

Gas in Australia is murderously expensive, electricity isn't much better but for brewing purposes, electric is far cheaper per batch and will more than cover the cost of the urn.

I've been using a 40L urn for years and produced some award winning beers. You may be interested in this article.

it ended up in the partial mash subforum when the site was updated, you may have missed it.

BIAB in an urn is a turn key brewery out of the box, all you really need is some Swiss Voile and some method of hanging the bag, but it avoids having to drill pots, fit taps, buy a burner and a gas bottle etc etc.

As for lagging, I use a sleeping bag which is then surrounded by a sheet of metallised rubber insulation, and lose about a degree and a half over the mash. Seeing as the main mash is mainly completed in the first half hour this works just fine.

You can get cheap pots from asian grocery stores but my experience of them is that they don't last. You can get more expensive ones from hospitality shops but Cedar in Brunswick are the best prices I've found for good quality aluminium pots. Craftbrewer also have a stainless pot at a very good price - you could order it full of grains and things.

4 ring burner + decent regulator or immersion element. Burner requires gas bottle, some kind of stand and outside. Immersion is stand alone and can be done inside. Also makes step mashing easier. Some people use 3 ring - if the reg is right that should be OK.

Temp control is a must. In Melbourne for several years, I made beer according to season and using a water bath for insulation. This works very well most of the year but in current climate (40+ weather every day here this week), you are limited entirely to saisons or rocket fuel if you brew without a fridge or other form of strict temp control.

Bottling is cheaper setup for sure. Ebay cnc cupcake world (username silvers something or other) do very good keg set up deals but you still need to buy a gas bottle. $400+ in that alone (2 kegs, gas, line, regulator, fittings). Worth doing but if on a budget - toughen up and bottle. One bench capper for 40-50, 2 dollar crown seals and some free coopers longnecks and you are laughing. Or cryiing depending on how much of an aversion you have to bottling.

Bribie G said:
I've been using a 40L urn for years and produced some award winning beers. You may be interested in this article.
Sorry Bribie G I DID read your article, apologies for not mentioning it.

I was unsure as to how much gas would be in Australia (at all really) and the urn is sounding more and more appealing... If I can pick up a second hand one I'd be laughing (I've noticed another thread just recently about urn brands so I'll keep an eye on that).

@manticle - Yeah I'm feeling that a fridge is almost a must (will need to discuss with my mate!) and that also bottling will be best to start with, they can condition in the fridge too if it's big enough.

Lots of food beer for thought here! :)

Well the idea of the urn 'turn key brewery' has really taken root now. I was away to purchase a Buffalo urn (thanks to this thread) but will have to wait until I have a bank account setup in Oz. $234.86 all in (delivery+tax) sounds like a fantastic deal to me. I'm itching here...

Latest posts

Back