Biab Advice Needed...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

Ahh Glasshopper
Reaction score
Right.

I started mashing another Grand Reserve (same recipe :icon_drool2: ) about half an hour ago. Was to be 90 minutes... mash.jpg

Got the inevitable on-call call out, will be working 5 till late.

Do I finish the 90 minutes, pull the bag an leave the boil 'till I get back - lid on? (think I've just answered the question...!!)

I could just about do a 60 mash and 60 boil, into cube and clean up after work... but i'll forget the whirlfloc and the nutrient, and spill half of it, and step on something expensive etc

No you're right... I'll put the hops back in the fridge...

Do I finish the 90 minutes, pull the bag an leave the boil 'till I get back - lid on? (think I've just answered the question...!!)

The only issue is if you dont raise the temperature of the wort to above 80 ish degrees then the enzymes shall continue to break the larger chain sugars down producing a thinner beer. Can you set your urn to 80 deg, then come back to finish the boil after work?

Hmm that's never happened to me but just off the top of my head I'd do a boilus interruptus, i.e. do a good mash, drain and bring to boil with no hops for maybe twenty minutes to kill the enzymes and any bugs, then cover and seal and then do the hop boil when you get back. However I have heard of brewers doing overnight mashes that worked ok for them.

I'd go the boilus personally.

Edit: as Raven says you really would do best to stabilise what you've got rather than let the enzymes continue to digest stuff.

Good point! Although I'm trying for a Chimay Blue style, which is, to my untrained palette less treacle like than a Barley Wine or a Russian Stout... but yes, Have Rambo so I can raise water temperature... then pull the bag...
Gives me some time to make the 1214 starter EVEN bigger!!

If you're going for a high gravity style, the long mash may be fine - a common flaw in big beers is too much not too little unfermentable material.

T.

If you're going for a high gravity style, the long mash may be fine - a common flaw in big beers is too much not too little unfermentable material.

T.

I vote for the long mash and the quick boil and hold. You get the best of both and have clean wort to start your boil with when you get back from work.

You could always call in sick and just keep brewing.

Latest posts

Back