Biab advice....I want to step up into ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy camel

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm wanting to start all grain now I have a keg setup and if possible could I get some advice on what to get so I don't waist money.

I have a 50ltr keg already cut and want to know how to set it up.

Do I need a ball valve if so what size also what type of burner do I need 2 ring or 3 ring?
Im sorry for the stupid questions but none of my friends brew

Ball valve is a good idea. You'll need some kind of all-thread into the kettle so tap size will depend on what you can drill out and fit. How competent/handy are you at drilling steel and fitting basic plumbing bits?

You'll need to buy/sew a grain bag from swiss voile or similar.
A stainless colander that sits over the pot can be great for draining (not necessary - just handy).
I'd say 3 or 4 ring burner or 2400 watt over the side element.
There's loads of other stuff you can add but that will get you started. Do you have fermentation temperature control?

manticle said:
Ball valve is a good idea. You'll need some kind of all-thread into the kettle so tap size will depend on what you can drill out and fit. How competent/handy are you at drilling steel and fitting basic plumbing bits?

You'll need to buy/sew a grain bag from swiss voile or similar.
A stainless colander that sits over the pot can be great for draining (not necessary - just handy).
I'd say 3 or 4 ring burner or 2400 watt over the side element.
There's loads of other stuff you can add but that will get you started. Do you have fermentation temperature control?

Hi thanks yes I'm pretty handy with the tools and should able to tig something in although I've never tigged stainless before also I can drill up to a 40mm hole as that's the biggest but I have at home

I have stc controlled brew fridge. I've been doing extracts and kits for a little while now

You can weld or use fittings to make a weldless tap.
Couple of locknuts, silicon washer or two, teflon tape and bob's your uncle. My thread is less than 40mm so you should be right with what you have.

Unless you are really good on the tig welder id recommend going the weldless option. I didn't really care too much so i just welded mine with my mig but to do a sanitary weld you really need to tig weld it, and do a flawless job of it

if you have never tig weld stainless before practice the shit out of it first, it's an art.

No need to tig anything yet.

Just need a pot with a ball valve (or similar), a bag, and a heat source (be it an element or gas).

Check out the links above, you dont need to go too complex.

Weldless ball valve will get you started, and you can refine later if you want to

Enjoy, its great fun

Look up Bribie G's post on using an urn for BIAB,also 2pot stovetop method by Lord Raja Goomba for ideas-both good posts using different ways to brew AG.I have tried to keep things simple with minimal outlay to start with and then upgrade as I get a bit more of an idea on what I'm doing and how advanced I want to go.Good luck,Rob.

If you are using gas indoor .

The Following LPG Indoor Storage Quantity Rules Apply:

Residential (detached house or single storey attached dwelling):

[SIZE=12pt]
10kg-LPG-Storage-Limit-v2.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In Australia, you are permitted to have 10kg indoors, per dwelling. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Please note that balconies are considered indoor areas. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]As there are no 10kg gas bottles available in Australia, this means that the limit is effectively one 9kg BBQ sized gas bottle or two of the smaller 4kg BBQ gas bottles.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]In addition, the maximum storage of combined indoor and outdoor gas bottles (not connected) must not exceed 50kg and no single gas bottle can exceed 15kg. [/SIZE]

Back