Bi-carb Soda - Aka Sodium Bicarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice contribution Banshee!

Why do you suggest it needs to be rinsed thoroughly?

As many have said the napisan type cleaners are good and easily obtainable,and the cheaper versions ive found contain no chlorine or added scents.

Photo0483.jpg

It is an oxidiser. Do you want to oxidise your beer?
That goes to how long, quantities and conditions that the chemical remains active.

The way I use it is flood & soak, leaving all surfaces in contact with solution for an extended period (>24hrs). Once drained and dried (somewhat) would there be a significant enough residue to cause further oxidation? I suspect not.

On the other hand, a little additional O2 in the fermenter will be of benefit.

I have used unscented Vanish, Napisan, for last 6 months, before that coopers sanitiser (both sodium percarbonate) I always rinse after, it would leave some residue behind. My water supply is clean and I haven't had an infection in 130+ brews, other than an out of date tin of goop in Kit days.

That goes to how long, quantities and conditions that the chemical remains active.

The way I use it is flood & soak, leaving all surfaces in contact with solution for an extended period (>24hrs). Once drained and dried (somewhat) would there be a significant enough residue to cause further oxidation? I suspect not.

On the other hand, a little additional O2 in the fermenter will be of benefit.

Does your beer taste like you would expect after soaking and draining? I am not a chemist so I can not give an educated answer.

I only use sodium percarbonate as a cleaner. I haven't changed anything since my first post in this thread.

I only use sodium percarbonate as a cleaner. I haven't changed anything since my first post in this thread.

Do you use 100% sodium percarbonate? If not then I would definetly recommend rinsing.

The jar (PBW) says Sodium Metasillicate which is just a cleaner, Sodium Percarbonate is a very different chemical, I'll leave the discussion as to its effectiveness as a sanitiser alone thanks.
Both are effective cleaners, personally I favour the percarbonate and find it very effective for general cleaning, even use it in the glass washer and the glasses come out sparkling.

MHB

hahaha what a funny old thread! i know it was 2 years ago since the OP but just to clear it up it would of been Dave @ Greensborough HBS, he would never recommend sodium bicarb it would of been sodium percarb for sure, he sells it in 500G and 1KG bags and its shit hot for cleaning stuff (not sanitising)

Latest posts

Back