Betadine for iodine tests

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been listening to a bunch of brewing podcasts, mostly basic brewing radio. They keep mentioning iodine tests, especially in regards to recipes with high portions of adjuncts, crystal malts or roasted malts.

I was wondering whether I can be a tight ass and use betadine instead of spenno brewing-specific iodine.

I think there's other stuff in betadine that may interfere with your results. Hopefully a more in depth answer will be forthcoming from Lyrebird or mhb.

In my experience, you really shouldn't need it unless you are trying to mash shorter, have an efficiency issue you're trying to fix or are using loads of adjunct. Good mashing process combined with good ingredients should be enough.

That said, if you're interested in checking, I emcourage you to do so but use the right tool for the job.

Fair enough. I've never had efficiency issues and am usually <70% and often <80%.

I picked up a few cheap Xmas puddings and was thinking if mashing them to make a xmas in July wee heavy. The problem is because there is so much other sugars in it, it will be hard to tell if the flour component fully converts (it should, but I want to be sure)

I picked up a few cheap Xmas puddings and was thinking if mashing them to make a xmas in July wee heavy. The problem is because there is so much other sugars in it, it will be hard to tell if the flour component fully converts (it should, but I want to be sure)

I'd be wary of the fats/oils in a pudding, not going to be good for foam?

Id say no, if you google betadine ingredients it shows that it also contains 6 other active ingredients.

I tried Betadine (out of curiosity) when I brewed in December. If you have nothing else to hand, it can be used used to indicate conversion. The colour has changed to purple in one sample and stayed brown in the other sample.

Latest posts

Back