Best $$$ You've Spent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mondestrunken

Reaction score
I've slowly been upgrading my set-up over the last year or so.

I've noticed that some purchases practically revolutionise, while others just add incrementally to, brewing quality.

So, what is the best purchase you've made? What do you wish you'd bought a long time ago?

For me,
$0-10: any sanitiser other than Sodium Met.
$10-50: probably Palmer's "How To Brew"
$50-100: 3-burner gas ring, close second is a bench capper.
$100-500: I don't recall spending this much on any single item...
$500+: (this is serious receipt hiding time for me).

Now that I've finally got it going the best buy for me has been in the $100-500 range which was my worm drive.
Having a motorised mill to churn through 11kg of grain is bliss, although my right arm is not going to be so massive anymore...

More details here.

I just bought a 6'er of 4 Pines pale ale. As I sit here tasting this beautiful malty amber liquid I do believe it is the best money I have spent.

refroctormeter and ph meter and my 2 stage water filter my spelling sucks

Mine is the 1.5L glass v8 juice bottle that I now use to make my yeast starters in, all for $3 sumthing.

Valleymill and counterflow chiller both $180 delivered from the US (that was 15 years ago)

Last 5 years a March pump ($180). Saved my back a hundred times or more since.

tnd

Hookers & blow, my brewing assistants. They haven't done wonders for my back though

You can't go past an STC1000 for around $20!

your right :)

and for me

$20 19L pot and $4 worth of voil to get me into AG :beerbang:
it's bloody cost me a lot more now but... :party:

$20 odd dollars for my mongolian burner. little rusty but she roars :) kudos to bob for that one

Alright for a brag, 40 litre Birko brand new for $120! Gotta love Ebay. :)

A shiny steel beer keg for a keggle, cost me 1 question to the right person.
3 grinding discs to make keggle...ohh I didnt pay for those, it was a mates grinder he got at a garage sale....so it cost him about $3.
$19 Big W pot on sale cost me $9.......this brewing caper is costing me a fortune...... :lol:

Portable oven with double width cooktop for boiling half price Big W pot...free.......
fridge from old preschool when they got a new one....free...
I'm saving money by the bucket load, SWMBO really has no reason to complain.

And me, a fridge suitable for a kegerater for $38.00 from Evans & Clarke online. Even got a German Danfos compressor in it. Now I have a fully fledged kegerator allup about $250.00 inc. SS drip tray and two tap tower.

My BEST buy ever - NINE brand new Italian made Art Deco wall sconces with geniune 24ct gold plating valued at $160.00 each - for $48.00 for the lot, again Evans & Clarke online auctioning, a lighting shop that closed down. And they look fantastic in my Art Deco bar.

The gimp in my basement keeping my new liver alive.

Back