Best & Worst Malts You've Used

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labels

Reaction score
Mainly about base malts

I know not many would agree but, I bought one sack of TF Golden Promise - once and that's it Never Again.
I tried everything to get a good beer from this expensive malt and every time all I got was a horrible earthy flavour. It may be good for whisky which I believe it was developed for but beer - Nah.

Maris Otter on the other hand is something else, I even use it in my lagers absolutely fabulous malt, give a nice malty flavour without the heaviness of Munich or specialities like Melanoidin.

Galaxy Lager malt is my all time favourite being a lager brewer. The first batch from the re-released Galaxy was a bit off-ish but now it's really great.

Joe White Pilsner - so so, Weyermann pilsner not really better than Galaxy, Weyermann premium pilsner, too attenuative great if you want a low carb beer but I didn't end up with apremium pilsner out of it.

Steve

Wey dark wheat is awesome so is Boh pils. Wey munich 1 is so good and bready in a lager and one of my favourites is TF FM MO. I only used golden promise once in a TTL and it was pretty good but I messed up the bitterness a bit with cube hopping so Ill have to finish the sack of GP off and get back to you on that one.
I disagree with your comment about premium pils as you can use it with so many combos to just get a bit of graininess from it and balance out a darker larger just nicely. It almost takes the edge the heavier malts, if you know what I mean?

I thought BB ale was boring but that would be the only malt I have not liked so far.

The brewer has a far greater effect on the finished beer than the malt.

Mainly about base malts

I know not many would agree but, I bought one sack of TF Golden Promise - once and that's it Never Again.
I tried everything to get a good beer from this expensive malt and every time all I got was a horrible earthy flavour.

What were you trying to make?

Only used that malt once as it's not locally available (Grain and Grape have a big range but don't stock TF) but the resulting beer was great and trying to replicate with simpsons GP, despite the fact I LOVE simpsons malts, didn't give me the same result.

Like equipment, like hops, like yeast - there will be results you prefer but most grains can be used in some way to make a decent beer. I no longer use JW unless (rarely) I want to make a coopers or AU lager type of beer but I don't rate the malt badly - just not as having the qualties I want in most of my finished beer, considering I favour brewing UK and belgian styles with a few Germans and the odd APA (with UK malt) thrown in for variety.

To answer the question - Favourite base malts include dingemans pilsner, weyerman munich I and Vienna, simpsons maris otter and possibly TF floor malted Golden promise but my experience of the latter is limited.

I am almost the opposite. GP makes a great Blonde type SMASH. Also Beers like Epic Pale Ale are made with it... Can't be all bad.
We don't have galaxy malt here from what I know but Gladfields Ale malt and MO are very good too from experience.

I am too n00b so far to have a worst malt as it has been my poor skill that has affected my brews so far. I keep getting stale, oxygenated brews so am trying to simplify to fix it...

:icon_offtopic:

How does BB Pale Pilsner measure up against Weyermann Pilsner? It's $15 cheaper per sack, plus I assume it's Aussie owned so I'd rather buy it if possible.

I originally bought Weyermann Pilsner because it was in DSGA which was my first brew and then just kept buying it - was thinking about getting a couple of sacks of BB next time.

TF GP has been my malt of choice for years now for Pommies and APAs. I've just bought a sack of Bairds Maris Otter to try, but I have always found GP to be dead reliable.

BB Ale and Lager (and Galaxy) are good clean neutral malts made for the local and Asian styles. There was a maltings at Oakey which has sadly closed, and their malt was very similar indeed to BB and destined for the Chinese market.

I use BB - but will have to switch to Joe White as that's Marks Home Brew's brand - in my American Wheats and my Cascade Pale Ale tributes. However I wouldn't really expect it to do well in a Euro Lager, maybe if you tricked it up with a fair percentage of Munich or Vienna or Melanoidin.

The brewer has a far greater effect on the finished beer than the malt.

I take that as meaning you can just buy any malt - the cheapest available because you can turn that malt into anything you want so why bother about different styles of malt.

Or I can take that as meaning the effect can range from negative through to positive meaning you can give a bad brewer the best malt and he'll still **** it up.

Steve

I guess a lot of it is style driven. If you're making an extreme IPA for example the taste profile of the finished beer is so dominated by bitterness and hop flavours you wouldn't be tasting too much of the underlying malt base so malt choice becomes less important.

At the other end of the scale Kolsch, most lagers and light ales and finely balanced and the wrong malt choice will take you off target.

From personal experience, I make a megaswill type lager that is very close to Pure Blonde for my non brewing mates. Using exactly the same recipe, yeast and procedure but replacing the Galaxy malt with BB Ale malt will produce a beer that very close to Carlton Draught, also enjoyed by non brewing mates. Proving that the malt has a greater effect on beer that the brewer - in this case.

Steve

Weyermann Pilsner goes into everything I brew nowdays. For me, it's worth the extra $15 a sack. Makes supurb APAs and IPAs and lends that essential sweet breadyness to lagers where the malt needs to be boss.

I haven't found an Aussie base malt that can make a half-decent Euro lager - BB Pale makes great adjunctified lagers - seems to taste better the less of it is in the beer. :lol:

End of the day, Wey Pils isn't out of place in any of my brewing styles, but it is essential for half of them.

If we're talking spec malts, Caramel Rye is REVOLTING. :p Tastes like you fermented the batch in plastic made entirely of nut-shrinking plasticisers dry hopped with a dishcloth.

TFFMGP is my favourite malt for ales, love the grainy taste.

Of course, to the OP, I cab see why you could call that "earthy"

Any of the Maris Otters, yum. In fact all the UK ale malts give me nice results. For AIPA's, IIPA's and lagers, BEST pilz has been great so far

Have you tried BB Galaxy? It really is pretty damn close to a Euro lager malt - not the same but close.

+1
In fact I think it's better quite often, BB Pale is an excellent malt as well. I also like the fact I'm brewing with Aussies malts.

aussie_made_good_300x266.jpg

Back