Best way to take odour out of plastic gear?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
Hey dudes,
Has anyone got tips on getting odours/flavours out of plastic gear? (ie. buckets and cubes)
We've got a place nearby that makes sauces and the like and they palm off big food grade buckets and cubes really cheap - I think $3 for a 25lt cube from memory.
Anyway, I need to acquire a few and as they are ex-vinegar and ex-sauce/chutney buckets they have a really strong smell that I just cant seem to get rid of.
I've tried soaking in hot and cold water and sodium perc, Ive tried soaking in hot and cold water and bleach, ive tried dusting them with a pile of bi carb of soda and letting them sit for a few days - nothing seems to work!

Hey dudes,
Has anyone got tips on getting odours/flavours out of plastic gear? (ie. buckets and cubes)
We've got a place nearby that makes sauces and the like and they palm off big food grade buckets and cubes really cheap - I think $3 for a 25lt cube from memory.
Anyway, I need to acquire a few and as they are ex-vinegar and ex-sauce/chutney buckets they have a really strong smell that I just cant seem to get rid of.
I've tried soaking in hot and cold water and sodium perc, Ive tried soaking in hot and cold water and bleach, ive tried dusting them with a pile of bi carb of soda and letting them sit for a few days - nothing seems to work!
Bi carbonate of soda should do it but I also think per-carbonate of soda will as well.

5 star make a product called saniclean that is pretty good at getting rid of smells, vinegar might be a push though. I use it in cubes and fermenters quite a bit.

full of cleaner and in the sun for a few days
then dump and repeat

the sun seems to help pull the stink out of them i reckon

Latest posts

Back