Best Way To Take A Reading From A Carboy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayellayen

Reaction score
I've transferred my beer a week ago to it's secondary fermentation vessel. I't s a 30L glass carboy, so no tap in the bottom. I was initially worried that the fermentation had stuck, but doing a little reading around the boards I'd discovered that I shouldn't be too worried about the little activity occurring in the airlock. And occasionally I see the airlock water level moving back down after releasing some CO2, so I'm pretty confident about leaving it be.
However, it's been a week, and I'd like to get a reading. I'm just trying to fathom how to take one without dropping the hydrometer straight into the carboy and then trying to fish it out with chopsticks or the like. The thought that I had was to get my siphoning hose and to dip a little bit in and close my thumb over the end to pick up enough beer to take a reading off. Unless someone knows a better way to take a reading? I appreciate your help lads.

Wine thief or turkey baster. ;)

I primary ferment in glass. Personally I don't bother with gravity readings. Beer seems to follow it's predicted bath with no dramas.

Warren -

Turkey Baster actually are crap for it I find. I bought one especially for it and becasue of it's dynamics and low viscosity of the beer it dribbles and splashes as you pull it out.

I much prefer cheapo syring from the chemist with some small diameter hose (like aquarium stuff ) over the end just long enough to reach your beer. You can sanitise it all then assemble it and then put the tube in the top of the kettle (while boiling)and pump a few times to give it a final touch with boiling water. A few more pumps when you pullit out to get rid of the moisture (which would make your reading diluted otherwise) and away you go.
Cheaper than a turkey baster anyway. But aparently they have other uses.

Brent

It would appear I should check my spelling more often. Sorry was supposed to be "path". :rolleyes:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back