Best Way To Sterlize Urine Sample Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is she getting them prior to use?

I would think a hit of starsan would be heaps

QldKev

yeh brand new out of the box. She just cant get that many all the time. Just a couple here and there so I have to re-use them.

you could always buy the LS22-30L on THIS page, thanks to the recommendation of tony I got 50 of these, I have only used about 15 of them, they come sterile but you can re-sterilise them in a pressure cooker because they are PP.

cheers
Ive got 50 of these fellas you can boil the shit out of them!!!!

yeh brand new out of the box. She just cant get that many all the time. Just a couple here and there so I have to re-use them.

I think you will be OK with using them.
Keep them with a starsan solution until ready, then a quick hit with a fresh mix, and reuse. I used plastic test tube for ages this way. (I only stopped as I no longer play with small yeast vials as they were too much work)

I had a CPA yeast from Andrew Stores in the basic tubes without auto clave which I used after 2 years no problems.

QldKev

I've had to pee in them hundreds of times, sort of turns me off putting yeast in them. :p

I would be careful about "advertising" the source of these "free" containers.

If someone knew who your wife was Truman, then she could face the sack for "stealing" them.

Just my 0.02c

tnd

you could always buy the LS22-30L on THIS page, thanks to the recommendation of tony I got 50 of these, I have only used about 15 of them, they come sterile but you can re-sterilise them in a pressure cooker because they are PP.

cheers

Have only used these fresh as they come sterile was wondering if I could resterilse them. Thanks Matho. :icon_cheers:
And thanks to Tony too. :beerbang:

I would be careful about "advertising" the source of these "free" containers.

If someone knew who your wife was Truman, then she could face the sack for "stealing" them.

Just my 0.02c

tnd

Valid point mate but she's not stealing them. The area she works in gets given a certain amount to use but they don't always end up using them all so the extras are left there and her boss usually let's the staff have them. Typical of large companies it's too hard to reduce the regular order from head office and much easier just to say they are all being used.

I thought urine WAS sterile?

Most of the time urine is sterile, unless you need to go to the doctor and wee in a jar to see if you have a urinary tract infection...

So in other words I should just piss in it, or get the missus to get me some used ones.. :p

Gives the expression 'getting on the piss' new meaning.

urine should be sterile (barring illness) coming out, but it won't stay sterile for long . . .

That's why you should drink it straight away.

If your first attempt with steam warped them, an autoclave will no doubt be much worse. If they are sterile they will probably have been gamma irradiated (not for the punters at home). However if they don't come individually wrapped in plastic they may not be sterile and I am sure thise things don't come wrapped. Anyway get the Mrs to have a look at the box they came in and get the catalog number (might even be on the label) and google it for the spec sheet of the container. That will have the info you require.

Given the fairly cheap cost of sterilized containers, although it's nice to have something free and to reuse, it might end up costing you more in time/cost to sterilize them, as opposed to buying new ones? :)

I use the yellow cap urine sample jars, like these;
They come as unopened & sterile. After first use I clean them out then give them a few goes in the baby bottle steam "steriliser" I know it's not sterile but will be very sanitised and good enough for my purposes. One cycle is 4 minutes in the microwave, then cooled. I do the cycle 3 times. Have kept yeast for over 12 months with no ill effects

Interesting. I turned mine into a molten mess using a electric baby bottle steriliser.
Horses for courses etc etc

I don't know if it's any use to you guys as the lids don't seal, but for mycology work i use PP chinese sauce containers.

They are easily sterilised in a pressure cooker (15 mins at 15 psi-121C). After i pour agar in them i put them in press seal bags (in sterile airflow) and seal. I have dishes that have sat like that for months on end with no sign of bacterial growth.

For yeast slurry you could wrap in glad wrap (cut a 2" piece off the roll) around the edge to stop spillage. The glad wrap comes off the roll as close to sterile as can be because of the machining process.

Latest posts

Back