Best Way To Clean Yeast Off The Roof

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Folks

I came home yesterday and checked on my brews only to find that my little 4l test batch of rasberry beer had (after looking pretty subdued when I left in the morning) managed to foam up, clog its air lock, build up pressure and eventually pop the bung and spray thick brown sludge over the floor, walls and roof of the laundry. Fortunately it managed to miss all the clothing hanging up on the drying rail or my corpse would be slowly rotting in a shallow grave right now.

Amzingly, no one at home noticed and the sludge had a good 6 hours or so on a warm day to dry out and set. Fortulately I brew in a disused shower recess so cleaning the walls was easy. It was the thick brown crud on the roof that caused me grief. I eventually scrubbed it all off with a bathroom tile scrubbing glove. It took an hour of heavy duty scrubbing and my shoulders still ache. At one point I was considering giving up and just repainting the room.

There has to be an easier way. I'm sure this has happened to others. What is the prefered method for removing dried yeast sludge from the roof?

Cheers
Dave

And Yes I should have used a blow off tube. I made the "its got plenty of head space" mistake.

I know I shouldn't but...

:lol:

I have not had to clean the roof myself yet, but I would think that a strong sodium percarbonate solution would soften the crud up a bit? It certianly cleans/softens the dried s**t off the internal shoulder of my fermenters.

Sugar Soap? Torsions idea would also be well worth trying.

oh yeah

:lol:

sorry but that is pretty funny. Reading the heading, I though you must have had a Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Accident.

This blokes just done the ceiling & now he's moving on to the walls

ft.jpg

In my early K&K days I had beer explode over the roof from a rocket bottle.

I used a mixture of hot water and bleach, and literally mopped the ceiling.

Tip though, use eye protection!

I used a mop and bleach. Welcome to the ceiling mopping club. :blink:

Travis

Folks

Thanks for the tips. Next time (though I hope there won't be a next time) I'll give them a try.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back