Best Waterproofing Sealant For Stainless?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortgames

'Draught' is not a beer style - it's a lifestyle
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm converting a chest freezer. It's quite an old one and its lined with highly polished thin stainless sheet. There's no drain. I've poured water in it and it doesn't seem to leak, but I'd like to be on the safe side and get some sealant on all the joins before it spends the next few years with a puddle of condensation in the bottom.

I've heard that standard silicone sealant is bad for stainless - anyone know what I should use instead? Bear in mind it will probably be submerged a lot of the time.

Cheers,

WG

I haven't heard that silicon is bad for stainless. My only suggestion would be a sealant such as Selleys aquarium sealant.

There is a problem with this on brass, perhaps this is what your thinking about

Will

I can't see why plain sealant would affect stainless , in fact I bet it would not.

Sounds like someone told you good one there :p

Batz

Hi

Has anyone put a drain hole in the bottom of their freezer? If so, how did they do it.

Cheers
Pedro

G'Day Wortgames i has been working making Stainless steel vacuum trays a work for the last 3 months and we went through the same thing ( needing a sealant ) we found the a product called Sikaflex-291 was the best. However i have never been told that normal sealant was harmful on S/S.

Stagger
:super:

Hey Stagger and wortgames,

Sikaflex is magic stuff. I used to use use the 231 when I was making stainless boat fittings as the sealant to the hull. It's far more flexible than the 291 and may be better suited as you are after a seal not a structural joint. Available at marine shops. However I imagine both products will work well for your application. I too have never heard the bad on stainless thing.

Borret

Another commonsense thing to add. Make sure you clean the joints well with something like acetone before you apply it. Goodness knows what scum has taken hold down there over the years could could impare its adhesion.

Borret

Thanks guys for the good oil. Sounds like I should try and find me some Sikaflex 231 then - there will be a bit of movement in the joints as I move kegs around, so I'll need something tough enough to hang in there. Is it happy to be permanently submerged?

Yep it's Marine grade Adhesive/sealant and Bedding compound should be fine

Stagger

I believe it's product description even states 'suitable for above and below the waterline.'

However I just checked the the website and the 231 is better for bedding parts (which is where we used it ) and the 291 for general sealing. So it may be better for you. Sorry stagger

Borret.

Ok - so Sikaflex 291 is the go?

I tried to look at the website (www.sikaflex.com) but it was all in foreign :blink:

Thanks everyone :beer:

Wortgames said:
I've heard that standard silicone sealant is bad for stainless - anyone know what I should use instead? Bear in mind it will probably be submerged a lot of the time.

Cheers,

WG
[post="54532"][/post]​

There are 2 common types of silicone sealant - acidic cure and neutral cure.
Acidic cure gives off corrosive vapours for a few weeks while curing - don't use this stuff on any metal.
Neutral cure should be ok - sold as gutter and downpipe sealant. $5 a tube from most H/W stores.

Thanks Schmick - that explains things. I'll check out the cost and availability of the Sikaflex, if either is unreasonable I'll go with the cheap stuff.

Cheers,

WG

Try any Industral supplier or a Marine shop NOT BUNNINGS.

It's good stuff but it is white not clear.

Having said this normal ruff and gutter should be fine.

Stagger

Back