Best VPN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
What's VPNs are people using, chasing one for Netflix US and other bits. It must allow full VPN access via a PS3.

edit. From the Netflix thread I see https://www.unblock-us.com/ will do the IP masking to look like a US user, but chasing a full VPN service.

Getflix does DNS like unblockus, but now has a vpn as well. I use the service on my TV, i products and PS3+4.

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com
The client comes with a VPN Kill switch ( If you disconnect from the VPN, your internet access will stop working. It will reactivate normal internet access when you deactivate the kill switch mode or exit the application.) Handy for torrents :)
Also comes with a SOCKS5 Proxy
They dont keep logs and speed wise, it isn't too bad

I signed up to PureVPN recently, based on the fact that Choice Magazine rated them as the best in their recent roundup.

But then I found that I need a separate router to my combo modem/router in order to get Apple TV on, so I really have no use for it. Was decent though, I just don't have the necessary VPN hardware.

Exile said:
I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com
The client comes with a VPN Kill switch ( If you disconnect from the VPN, your internet access will stop working. It will reactivate normal internet access when you deactivate the kill switch mode or exit the application.) Handy for torrents :)
Also comes with a SOCKS5 Proxy
They dont keep logs and speed wise, it isn't too bad
I have used this provider for several years and thoroughly recommend it. Works on Windows, iPhone, Android and Linux. You can use 5 devices on the one account and for less than Aus$60/year is very good value.

If using for torrents, use the SOCKS5 Proxy and use the Deluge torrent client, Deluge allows you to configure ALL IP protocols used by P2P to use the proxy and it results in about 5 times the download speed.

I was/am using nordvpn. Netflix is getting a little smarter now so we keep losing servers. At the moment using slickvpn, kodi and exodus

VPN are going the way of TBP....

The big guys are stopping access thru them

Bribie G said:
How did you get on Kev? Looking for a VPN.
Son was not too decisive about which one, so still haven't arranged anything yet. Biggest down fall is when you route via a US server your latency increases, and the son is a gamer.

I don't know of PSN has apps, but I use tunnelbear on all of my apple devices. Easy to use - no idea if it's 'the best' but it gets the job done.

QldKev said:
Son was not too decisive about which one, so still haven't arranged anything yet. Biggest down fall is when you route via a US server your latency increases, and the son is a gamer.
PIA now has a Melbourne or Sydney based server, I use Melbourne where low latency is required and privacy is "less" of a concern, such as gaming, etc. But, switch to Switzerland when I want certainty about logging laws. Not 100% what laws regarding logging is like here for a data centre, I know the Aussie laws impact ISP's, but not sure whether a data centre would classify as an ISP if they are only providing wholesale service....... but, I still don't trust the locals as well as I wish I could.

Looking into VPN's at the moment and wondering what recommendations the AHB brains trust has to offer. Tossing up between the more expensive options, like ExpressVPN, or the cheaper options like PIA or SlickVPN etc. Will be mainly used for torrents and streaming but having the option to view US netflix easily would be a bonus. Can anyone add to the above advice?

Another +1 for PIA

I have a 50mb/s connection in Adelaide and connect to a Melbourne server, where I get 45mb/s

:beerbang: :beerbang:

damoninja said:
Another +1 for PIA

I have a 50mb/s connection in Adelaide and connect to a Melbourne server, where I get 45mb/s

:beerbang: :beerbang:
My Telstra broadband gives me a pretty consistent 100-125Mb/s and I'd likely have withdrawals if I lost too much speed. Does my provider's connection speed have any bearing on the speeds likely to be achieved while using a VPN? Sorry, my understanding of all these tubes is somewhat limited.

Camo6 said:
My Telstra broadband gives me a pretty consistent 100-125Mb/s and I'd likely have withdrawals if I lost too much speed. Does my provider's connection speed have any bearing on the speeds likely to be achieved while using a VPN? Sorry, my understanding of all these tubes is somewhat limited.
Yes it can. Telstra I wouldn't be surprised if they fucked with connections to known VPN servers I've heard people getting abominably slow speeds on VPN with Telstra cable.

I pay $80 for 500gb at 50/10 could have got Telstra cable for $20 more but would suffer for upload and I don't fancy selling my soul.

Not to Telstra, anyway.

Cheers for the advice. Not much of a Telstra fan myself but it was a necessary evil when we signed up. I'll do a bit more digging.

Latest posts

Back