best temperature measurement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
I've had some problems with my current cheapo probe type thermocouple, and am considering a replacement.
My main requirement is guaranteed accurate readings, as I think you want to know you're within a degree or so of your target mash temp.
What do people think are the best type to use, at a "reasonable" price?
I've seen the infra red gun type,
The probe and hand held box
the wireless BBQ type (ie: igrillmini2 sounds a good one)

Also what is the best method for calibration, considering that boiling water, and ice testing, is a long way away from a mash temp?

I've used STC-1000s for mashing since forever and they work pretty well. I mean, I get beer at the end of it all, so they can't do too bad of a job. For a quick ten bucks off eBay I'd say it's pretty damn affordable, and you can use it for temp control as well (ie turn on your recirc pump / element if temp gets below a certain level)

Invest in a decent lab thermometer and use it as your reference.
If you are buying in person have a look at several and see that they agree with each other. If on line about the best you can do is choose a reputable supplier and try a 0/100oC test when it arrives, if its good at both ends it is probably going to be pretty good all the way through the scale.

STC-1000 are pretty reliable ones they are calibrated, most of them have an off-set function, so you can reference them against a good thermometer and adjust if needed, good idea to check anything electronic occasionally. I have seen plenty of STC's that were several degrees out before calibration.
Mark

Moog said:
I've had some problems with my current cheapo probe type thermocouple, and am considering a replacement.
My main requirement is guaranteed accurate readings, as I think you want to know you're within a degree or so of your target mash temp.

Also what is the best method for calibration, considering that boiling water, and ice testing, is a long way away from a mash temp?
I got a reconditioned Thermapen off ebay for under $50.

Just did a search on ebay and there is one for $23 AUD

Moog said:

Curious what reason you need pinpoint accuracy for? I mean yeah it's good to hit targets and all that but for most of us that 0.5 degrees off mash we're never going to know the difference

I use an STC through a thermowell to get to strike temp and a dial through a thermowell in my mash tun to get my mash in read.

I'm quite happy with the $35 jobbie from Ibrew. The cal certificate looks to be real: I rechecked mine and it's +/- 0.1 degree at 0 and 100. Probably my error not theirs.*

Moog, since the linearity of the sensing elements is well established, I don't think there is any problem with accepting a 0 / 100 calibration as being OK at temperatures between these two.

BTW I had cause to buy some small pressure fittings a month or so ago from Temperature Controls in Yarraville, three doors up in the same industrial park as Grain and Grape. The front counter had half a dozen temperature probe calibrators sitting on it at the time.

thanks guys, yea I just want to know its reading what is says it does, you've reassured me of that, Thanks Lyrebird.
I do actually brew next to my fermenting fridge, controlled by the STC, and the probe is long enough to reach, so next brew, i'll give that a go, i'll just unplug the fridge from it and just use it as a thermometor. I don't really need to use it to control my element with it because my insulation is so good the temp stays constant during the mash

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I'm quite happy with the $35 jobbie from Ibrew. The cal certificate looks to be real: I rechecked mine and it's +/- 0.1 degree at 0 and 100. Probably my error not theirs.*

Moog, since the linearity of the sensing elements is well established, I don't think there is any problem with accepting a 0 / 100 calibration as being OK at temperatures between these two.

BTW I had cause to buy some small pressure fittings a month or so ago from Temperature Controls in Yarraville, three doors up in the same industrial park as Grain and Grape. The front counter had half a dozen temperature probe calibrators sitting on it at the time.
I've got one of those too. It's reliable and hardy

Latest posts

Back