Quantcast

Best Source For Specialty Malts In Oz

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking for some of the more exotic varieties such as Belgian Biscuit or Honey malt. This has been prompted by looking at recipes in a recently purchased copy of Beer Captured. Obviously I don't expect to be able purchase these things in Perth. We're lucky to be able to buy liquid yeast but I thought one of the ES HBSs might have something. Had a look at Grumpy's and Grain and Grape and ES Brewing but not much choice there either.

cheers

Patrick.

Aaron

Reaction score
pbrosnan said:
Had a look at Grumpy's and Grain and Grape and ES Brewing but not much choice there either.

cheers

Patrick.
[post="60227"][/post]​
Give them a call. Try Goliath and JM too. They will often have stuff that is not yet listed on their sites.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Thanks Aaron, what's JM's web address?

Aaron

Reaction score
pbrosnan said:
Thanks Aaron, what's JM's web address?
[post="60240"][/post]​
www.jovialmonk.com.au

dickTed

Reaction score
JM doesn't appear to have any specialty malts. There's none on his price list.

J

Jovial_Monk

I do have specialty malts, it is that the website is far from complete.

I have no biscuit malt (have imported it in the past for own use) but a bit of home toasting will take care of that.

Never seen honey malt listed in Oz, I do have some at home but it must be 3 or 4 years old and not sure how good it still is. Substitute some melanoidin.

Jovial Monk

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hi all,

I saved from another post from this forum that Wyermann Caraamber is a substitute for belgian biscuit malt if this helps.

Cheers

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score
dicko said:
Hi all,

I saved from another post from this forum that Wyermann Caraamber is a substitute for belgian biscuit malt if this helps.

Cheers
[post="60272"][/post]​
i usually substitute fawcetts amber malt for biscuit - i think it's pretty similar. cara-amber is a cara-malt so not quite the same thing.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
I did use some Melaniodin, had about 800g left so wacked in the lot. That means I had 79% pils, 12.7 melanoidin and 7.9% wheat. Thans for the info on substitutes.

Latest posts