Best Pub In London

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one for Ye old Cheshire cheese, although it is a replica, built after the fire in 1667.

Upstairs, yes, but the cellar predates the great fire.

Watch your head as you scoot down stairs! People are quite a bit taller today than they were in those days.

Kev

I think the best pub in London at the moment is the Gunmakers Arms in Clerkenwell, near Chancery Lane and Farringdon tubes. It's midtown, so close to both the city and the West End.

The landlord, Jeff Bell used to have a popular beer blog called "Stonch's Beer Blog" and always has extremely well kept beer with good turnover (ideally you want cask that has been tapped that day).

In the immediate vicinity of the Gunmakers is The Craft Beer Co., Ye Olde Mitre, The Castle and The Euston Tap, which are all excellent venues, but my pick is the Gunmakers if you want a real local like you described.

Edit: Just saw Nate2g's post. Is the Craft Beer Co in the old Clock House on Leather Lane? I used to work on Hatton Garden and snuck in there often at lunch for a sneaky [int.

G'day Tim,

Thanks for the good info! I think Gunmakers and The Craft Beer Co it is! Nice that they're next door to each other as well hey!

Cheers!

Rob

No worries Rob. Make sure you have a chat with Jeff at The Gunmakers. A genuine top bloke.
Enjoy your trip

The White Horse in Parsons Green has a really good range of beers. Across the park is the Duke on the Green. Up the road a bit is the Southern Cross. I can only go on experience of the local pubs when I stayed in Fulham

You could always try the http://www.monopolypubcrawl.org.uk/ great day out, visiting lots of fantastic pubs.

Suprised no one's mentioned the Slug & Lettuce. Geez I was there all the time.
Just reeks of class that joint.

G'day Tim,

Thanks for the good info! I think Gunmakers and The Craft Beer Co it is! Nice that they're next door to each other as well hey!

Cheers!

Rob
Yep some excellent options there. I used to live in Farringdon and there are some nice little pubs. Don't be surprise if there are not many people about on a weekend day - it is a business area. There is a couple of big clubs in the area so at night is gets busy. Some Banksy street art in the area, and Smithfield market is a nice structure to have a walk around also. German sausage place out front also.

From another post of mine....
If you are in Clerkenwell, the Jerusalem Tavern in nearby Farringdon is also a good spot for a real ale it is run by the St Peter's Brewery in Sulfolk
In the same area is the Dovetail which is great for a Belgian and I also liked drinking at the Crown Tavern on Clerkenwell Green. ........

You can walk up to Exmouth Market and there is the Kick Bar for something different - Portuguese bar on a great little market street. On the walk up Farringdon road from the Gunmakers you will past the Eagle, which was one of the pubs that started the Gastro Pub movement.

Back