Best Pub In London

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmingis

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm heading to the UK in August, and will be spending a couple days in London. I have never really been, and wife has left the pub selection up to me. Woohoo! :beerbang: (please excuse the enthusiasm)

So if you could only spend one night at a pub in London, where would it be? I'm thinking dimly lit, wooden walls, no TV's (as we'll be meeting up with some O/S mates), and with the best selection of ales, and somewhere close to the CBD. Any ides? :D

Cheers!

Rob

Hi everybody,

I'm heading to the UK in August, and will be spending a couple days in London. I have never really been, and wife has left the pub selection up to me. Woohoo! :beerbang: (please excuse the enthusiasm)

So if you could only spend one night at a pub in London, where would it be? I'm thinking dimly lit, wooden walls, no TV's (as we'll be meeting up with some O/S mates), and with the best selection of ales, and somewhere close to the CBD. Any ides? :D

Cheers!

Rob

One night anywhere in London? I can say with 100% certainty, that it would wherever Liz Hurley is at the time.. :super:

My favorite pub in London was by far The Queen Victoria in Battersea. Great family pub with a great selection of traditional real ales. They have a great Sunday roast lunch too! They have a facebook page if you want to check them out

The Rake in central london

The White horse in PArsons Green,

you can google them yourself

I will preface this by saying I havent tried very many pubs in london..

But we went to the Monkey Puzzle a couple of times (it is near paddington station). The food was good and so were the real ales (I found it less packed and more relaxed than a lot of the bigger pubs). It doesnt have a huge selection of ales but it did have 2 or 3 real ales on the hand pumps when I went there.

Hi everybody,

Cheers!

Rob

There is a pub on every corner garrenteed no pokies other than the fruit machines . I suggest you walk out of your hotel room in any direction 2 minutes later you will be in a pub . I think for the scene your looking for you might be better heading into the country . Have fun

Where do you start - lived there for 3 years.

3 picks for a classic experience with great beer would be the Princess Louise, Ye old cheshire cheese, The blackfriar. And some really good fullers pubs are around town. I love classic old-world london boozers with great beer.

If you go out to Greenwich the brewery tap for Meantime is nothing short of awesome (food and beer). And the Fullers tour is a must.

For an historical experience - Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street - especially the basement/cellar - apparently only open from about 4pm. Upstairs not too shabby either.

For a great pub - not sure how 'authentic' it is - Churchill Arms - Kensington Church Street. Fantastic pub, great Thai restaurant out the back. Not much in the way of obscure ales from memory, a Fullers pub though if I recall correctly.

Enjoy the trip - just a tad jealous...

Kev

the White Horse in So Ho mate, its a samualsmiths pub with all there best ales on tap.....

I would definitely take a trip down to Richmond (30 mins on the tube out of the city). Fantastic little pub on the river with great food and beer called the White Cross, some days on high tide the river rises up over the path into the beer garden!

Another one for Ye old Cheshire cheese, although it is a replica, built after the fire in 1667.

the White Horse in So Ho mate, its a samualsmiths pub with all there best ales on tap.....

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll. Right, that's it, when i get to the UK, here is where i will be going hahaha

There is a pub on every corner garrenteed no pokies other than the fruit machines . I suggest you walk out of your hotel room in any direction 2 minutes later you will be in a pub.

Now why can't we have that here?!

Thanks for the tips guys!

Actually, I have to admit, I have "been" to London once, had a 12 hour layover in London so we went for a quick trip around town, and the one pub we did go to was Ye Old Cheshire Cheese! It was bloody fantastic! So good in fact that we had too many pints and missed our flight to Honkers. Lucky there was a bomb threat of some sort on the tube (that lasted for all of 30 seconds), so the airline gave us the next flight no extra charge!

Right, I have some Googling to do! Need to check out Camra too I hear.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi everybody,

Cheers!

Rob
When in August? You could be in time for the Great British Beer Festival! Well worth going to if the dates match up.
Otherwise although there are many good ones to choose from I'd say the White Horse in Parsons Green. Easy to get to on the tube and a long established reputation as a good beer pub. Nice place to sit if the weather's good too.
Definitely do some searching. With so many to choose from you could specifiy historical only, good beer only, etc. etc. and still have a wealth of options.

A new pub opened here three weeks ago and has already established itself as one of the premier beer 'places' in Europe.

Lovely ex Greene King pub previously known as the Clock House. Lovely interior with a slight modern twist.

Beer selection is mind blowing. 16 casks and over 20 kegs of craft beer.

http://www.thecraftbeerco.com/

Now top of the list of where us beer lovers drink in London.

I lived in London for 4 years and most of the pubs mentioned above are specialty or tourist type destinations and not real locals, nor are they very central. The White Horse is pretentious and The Rake is more like a trendy bar that serves craft beer. The Cheshire Cheese is a Sam Smiths pub which is worth a look if you are interested in architecture, but the beer is pretty vanilla.

I think the best pub in London at the moment is the Gunmakers Arms in Clerkenwell, near Chancery Lane and Farringdon tubes. It's midtown, so close to both the city and the West End.

The landlord, Jeff Bell used to have a popular beer blog called "Stonch's Beer Blog" and always has extremely well kept beer with good turnover (ideally you want cask that has been tapped that day).

In the immediate vicinity of the Gunmakers is The Craft Beer Co., Ye Olde Mitre, The Castle and The Euston Tap, which are all excellent venues, but my pick is the Gunmakers if you want a real local like you described.

Edit: Just saw Nate2g's post. Is the Craft Beer Co in the old Clock House on Leather Lane? I used to work on Hatton Garden and snuck in there often at lunch for a sneaky [int.

:icon_offtopic: I lived in London for 2 years in the 90's and drank nothing to my shame but BUL Stella and 1664. Now everytime I pay 10 bucks for a bottle of fullers I should slap myself.

There really is a lot of great pubs and no doubt whatever you stubble across you will like, if not move on there will be another just up the road.

Check this thread out for some further ideas http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=37542

No doubt your wife will want a trip down Oxford street, so in that area I recommend the Fitzroy Tavern which is just North East of the Oxford/Tottenham court road intersections, there is a couple of nice places back that way.

The Prince of Wales in Cleaver Square is also worth a visit - but probably requires a special visit albeit inside Zone 1

Check out Street View to take a glimice at some of the pubs. Also take a look at http://www.beerintheevening.com/

Some good suggestions in this thread.

Back