Best product to clean up stainless steel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milk-lizard84

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just got a question in regards to cleaning up a stainless steel keg.
Bought this keg and I want to get it clean. Just wondering if anyone has used a certain product to bring life back into an old keg.

1404644036991.jpg

1404644052989.jpg

PBW. It's the duck's nuts for this sort of work. Heat up some water to 60-odd, mix it at the recommended ratio and let it soak for 30 mins.
May as well commit to a few dollars and fill it most to the top on your first go. You might need a few teaspoons of it. But it's a brilliant cleaner and if you have it and Starsan, you're covered for most cleaning and sterilising situations you'll face.

TTBOMM PBW is not meant to make your stainless blingy again but is great for cleaning. ;)

Our old mate Bribie says it all, thanks to his research a couple of days ago ----

Stainless steel will passivate itself in the presence of oxygen
It will not do so if it's not bare metal: i.e some grease or other substance on the surface that will prevent the layer of chromium dioxide developing.
Hence the need to take the BrewBucket back to bare metal, recommended usage of Trisodium Phosphate to do this.

The use of acids is to remove any iron traces from welding or other industrial processes. Industrially they use nitric acid, but citric acid (and presumably phosphoric acid which is and active ingredient in Starsan) can also work.
So there you go! :)

I soaked my element in a strong Starsan mix for 2 days and it left a ring in my keg at the liquid level. Brilliant shiny below it, normal appearance above. It definitely does something.

That would be the phosphoric acid, you can buy phosphoric acid from Bunnings under the name Rust Off and dilute at a ratio of 5 to 1 for light cleaning of stainless.

Oxalic Acid is also used for cleaning stainless

Diggers Rust and Stain Cleaner is a naturally occurring biodegradable organic product which effectively removes stains and cement residue. It is a mild bleaching agent that also rejuvenates tired looking timber.
  • Rust removal – kitchens, appliances, tools and plumbing fixtures
  • Stain removal – fuel stains, blood and bore stains
  • Heavy duty timber and masonry cleaner
  • Rejuvenates tired or aged timber
  • Textile bleaching

Coca Cola also contains Phoshoric acid. Those old enough to remember 1 and 2 cent coins will have done the old party trick of dipping one in Coke that took it back to bare bronze instantly.

Cheers for all the responses guys. Once I buy a product and use it ill post my results.

I soaked all my smoker racks in Aldi's DiSan last night, and u can imagine what kinda gunk is on them after 2 years of smoking meats directly on them. Only let them soak for maybe 3 hours with hot water from laundry tap, rinsed and scrubbed a couple real bad ones. Makes the smoker look brand new again.

Damn good stuff that DiSan :D

Will chlorinated trisodium phosphate (ie pink stuff) do the same as trisodium phosphate as recommend above for cleaning stainless rust spots?

The kegs that I aquired for my keggle & HLT are in pretty bad shape ( dull, scratched impregnated with Fe ) and I want to clean them up also.

When I had the threads tig welded to them for fitment of ball valves, the welder told me that if I wanted to clean/ restore them that I could use diluted pickling gel to do this.

He said to dilute with water 50:50 ( I think ) and paint the solution over the kegs or dunk them in it. I have a large drip tray ( automotive oil/coolant ) that would be good for this.

This bloke also told me to. - wear full protective clothing & face mask shield. - Be very carefull & dont splash this stuff around. - Dispose of the left over down the street stormwater & Not to tell anyone he gave me the idea.

The BOC pickling gel is a mix of acids. There is a neutralising solution available for it which I would get if I EVER attempt this.
I will most likely spot clean the vessels with pickling gel followed by neutralizer & a good flush of water then clean the rest of the area with a scotchbrite & CRC.

Josh.

manticle said:
Chlorine on stainless? Usually avoided.
hell yes avoid it, well, at least do not leave it sit too long.....still trying to hide the chlorine stains on my brand new brewery sink from the missus........takes that nice polish right off.

Just a quick update to this thread. Found some bar keepers friend and gave the keg a quick once over last night. With little effort the reddish staining came off a treat. Still needs more elbow grease to finish the job bit this stuff looks like it'll do the job nicely.

1411124074986.jpg

1411124098128.jpg

Milk-lizard84 said:
Just a quick update to this thread. Found some bar keepers friend and gave the keg a quick once over last night. With little effort the reddish staining came off a treat. Still needs more elbow grease to finish the job bit this stuff looks like it'll do the job nicely.
Yes BKF is awesome for cleaning up stainless. It is an oxalic acid product so remember to use your gloves!

Back