Best Price For Birko Urn ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
Looks like I might get a decent tax return this year, so the urn might become a reality soooner than I expected - as in the next month or so (AG BIAB WOO HOO!). After all the reading i have decided on going for the Birko 40L (10 amp) over the Crown, because of the exposed element. Looking around at prices, they seem to sit at $300, and to my joy I found that through some commercial relationships at my place of employ I can get a Birko 40L for $265.00 brand new.

Has anyone found a price cheaper than that in Sydney ? if so, please guide me in the right direction.

Sounds a great price. I paid $315 for mine last November but only because I was going to Ross's (150k round trip from here) to pick up my big initial AG order & bits, and the catering equipment place was also on the Southside as well, and I couldn't be arsed ordering EBAY or interstate and paying for freight and generally stuffing around. As it happened I was BIABBing the next day so didn't mind the extra $$$
If you can get it at that price you were quoted, pickup, then you are miles (and brew ingredients) ahead.

Edit: Ross wasn't selling urns at that stage or I might have ended up with a Crownie.

Edit: Ross wasn't selling urns at that stage or I might have ended up with a Crownie.

Are you glad you didn't ? From reading your other posts, It sounds like you have no qualms at all about the Birko's performance. Whereas Crown boys seem to talk about 'only just' getting it to a rolling boil.

I paid $270 for my 40lt Birko a few months ago

they turn up fairly regularly on ebay - I got my 20L HLT for $100, but only because i got sucked into a bidding war and have poor impulse control! I 've seen 20L ones go for $65 before.

That is a good price for a brand new one.

Otherwise auction sites, evilbay, etc could be cheaper alternatives for second hand units.

That is a good price for a brand new one.

Otherwise auction sites, evilbay, etc could be cheaper alternatives for second hand units.

I just bought a 30L crown (used) on evilbay for $120.
Maybe I should have waited to get one cheaper, but I havent got the time or patients.

I found a 20L birko at a builders wreckers yard.... looks brand new and was only $40. It makes a fantastic HLT!

Looks like I might get a decent tax return this year, so the urn might become a reality soooner than I expected - as in the next month or so (AG BIAB WOO HOO!). After all the reading i have decided on going for the Birko 40L (10 amp) over the Crown, because of the exposed element. Looking around at prices, they seem to sit at $300, and to my joy I found that through some commercial relationships at my place of employ I can get a Birko 40L for $265.00 brand new.

Has anyone found a price cheaper than that in Sydney ? if so, please guide me in the right direction.
On ebay a few years ago I paid about $140 for a 40Ltr Birko with a 3000W element (15 amp circuit). You don't often come across 40Ltr urns on evil-bay though. Sounds like $253 for a brand new Birko is not a bad deal, given what many second-hand units go for.

Just saw that LJ Stuart one for $253.00 Wow, that's $12 cheaper than my best price - but shit they're out at South Windsor, wheeras my guy is a short drive up the road. For anyone West or Northwest though, this price is a ripper.

Looks like I wont get one for the moment anyway, funds are tigheter than I thought. it's a choice between a mincer/sausage maker and an urn, and I think I'll go for the mincer. After all, I can still make something defined as 'beer' for the moment, without going AG.... but I cant make snags.

And anyway I'm holding out for a neighbour to get an AG setup (he's sourcing a 'kettle'), so theres every chance I'll have the best of both worlds shortly.

Latest posts

Back