Best Placement For Thermowell In Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive just brought a thermowell with temp probe to install in my 20 litre urn. Just wondering where the best palce along my urn wall would be to install it.

Ive seen in a few photos that they are generally just above the tap. But as my urn has an exposed element could this be to close to the element and therefore give me higher readings? It would make it less than an inch or two from the element as my tap is level with it.

Should I put it mid way instead?

Suggestions appreciated.

Ive just brought a thermowell with temp probe to install in my 20 litre urn. Just wondering where the best palce along my urn wall would be to install it.

Ive seen in a few photos that they are generally just above the tap. But as my urn has an exposed element could this be to close to the element and therefore give me higher readings? It would make it less than an inch or two from the element as my tap is level with it.

Should I put it mid way instead?

Suggestions appreciated.

I would have thought that the water above the tap is going to be a bit cooler than the water exiting the tap since that would be lower and closer to the element. The best way would be to stir the water so that you get a similar temperature throughout the Urn in which case you could place it mid way for an accurate overall reading.

If you put the thermowell mid way without stirring, the lower part of the water would be hotter and the upper part would be cooler. I woudl have thought you would want to measure a temperature which is close to what is coming out of the tap.

Ultimately a thermowell above the tap would be good enough if you don't stir continuously and if the flow of water out of the urn is slow enough for the elements to continue to keep the water at the same temperature.

Regards

Roller

Recirculating HLT for the win!

Little brown pump.........go on.....you know you want one.

Oh, yeah, back to the question. Id probably go half way up the wall. Even if recirculating isnt on the horizon, a quick stir when you suspect your close to temp will be fine for an accurate reading.

Somewhat off topic but is there a thin long probe for the stc-1000 that can handle boiling temps? (Ie to stick through the lid of an urn)

Am thinking something like this?
temp_sensor.gif

Recirculating HLT for the win!

Little brown pump.........go on.....you know you want one.

Oh, yeah, back to the question. Id probably go half way up the wall. Even if recirculating isnt on the horizon, a quick stir when you suspect your close to temp will be fine for an accurate reading.

Ive already got one.. Brought one of those Herm-it pumps from Gryphon brewing. Just haven't set it up yet fully.

But I didn't think of that, when I do use it to recirculate it wont really matter where the probe goes.

So I will put it half way up as you suggest. Cheers..

Back