Best Option For Co2 In Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all

Getting the keging set up together (thanks to Neville @ Gryphon Brewing) and was going to go with BOC in Malaga unless anybody in Perth thinks there's a better option. In fact is there any other option?

cheers

Patrick.

I think the choices are pretty limited. In the end I went for BOC cos its cheaper to setup and run in the short term.

Ultimate Air (Ossy Park) might be worth a call - they sell the bottles (as opposed to BOC who rent the bottles) and the refills are pretty cheap but the startup cost of buying the bottle will hurt.

How much did you pay for your kegs?

Hi Goat,

$55 ea. I went to BOC yesterday. Got the gass onto the berr last night. BTW I donlt suppose you know a supply of hose bits close to Dianella? I plan on going to HoseCo on Midvale on the weekend (need a T piece and some Cobra Clips) but would prefer not have to drive that far.

cheers

Patrick.

No worries - there's no looking back now !

I'm not sure what a cobra clip is but Ultimate Air (www.beertech.com.au/) have all of the push-on connectors (www.johnguest.com/) for the gas lines which are great and Oetiker clamps (www.oetiker.com). Their web site is pretty basic, its better to go there and see them.

Their in Osborne Park - that's not too far from you is it?

(no affiliation)

Cobra Clip is a little metal pull together thingy that goes on the end of the lines. That's what Neville at GBS called it. I might give beertech ago. Tried to find what there opening hours were but no success, do you have any idea? The website sucks. Is the showroom better?

Ultimate Air (aka beertech) are only open weekday normal hours, i.e no thurs nite and no sat morning.

I was there the other week wanting to buy 4 new taps which are on back order from the UK, the CO2 bottle they sell is $300, which is a big upfront cost. The guys there hate BOC (bless them) so are looking at a cheaper source of CO2 bottles so the ouch factor is a bit easier to swallow. no affiliation etc.

Cheers.

The other problem with the Airup bottles is the wimpy 2.3kg size. At $20 for a fill and $300 to buy its not much of a better buy than renting from one of the cylinder rental (sorry gas companies) especially when 6.5kg of CO2 from them is less than $30 its just the $120 or so they slug you for their cylinders.

I'm on the hunt in the next few days for a fire extinguisher. I spoke with one place in Perth the other day and they said they had plently of steel ones in test they would do a deal on so I will see if they are an option. I'm not worried if its a steel cylinder as its only going to sit in the shed anyway, I have sodastream cyl for travel.

Cheers

Ausdb

Update on my quest for a reasonably priced supply of CO2.

I found Eversafe fire protection in Maddington really helpful
U 1/ 29 Emerald Rd Maddington 6109
(08) 9493 2044

Ask to speak to John and say what you want it for, he will sell a 3.5 or 5 kg steel CO2 extinguisher that is in test, filled with the dip tube removed for about $90. Ali cylinders are more and you would need to ask him what he has in stock at the time but for just sitting next to the fridge in the shed I am happy with steel. You will need to give him a bit of warning so don't expect him to have one prepped and ready if you just walk in the door. I was in a real hurry for CO2 so at the moment mine looks like this as the dip tube is still in it, hopefully I wont need the trolley soon!
Img_3145.jpg

So for less than the cost of a years rental I own a cylinder with 4 more years left in test, excellent!

Cheers
Ausdb

Well done ausdb, will be looking at one of these when my BOC dies on me!

Guest Lurker said:
Will he refill it?
[post="57235"][/post]​
Yes as long as it is in test (6year test interval on extinguishers)

That sounds brilliant :)

What about the connection from the head of the extinguisher to the reg, what are the fittings like?

Any chance of bringing it to Goats on the 21st?

I have a couple of extinguishers and would like a good look at the reg. adapter.

I spoke to Ultimate Air, and they will refill them if they have the right type of refill valve, which one it is I do not know as the ones I have are both different to each other.

Bar and Vlad
I will bring it to Goats so you can look at it.

As for the threaded connection, some extinguishers have the right thread on the valve fit straight to the CO2 reg which is a Type 30 14tpi whitworth RH thread 0.860 thou OD(try saying that with a skinful!!!). The one I got had this connection the only problem was the hole in the end of the valve was had a small threaded part for a gas diffuser to screw into which was a bit small to fit the spigot of the regulator into (a slight modification solved that one!). I saw some other extinguishers there that would not even need that modification.

Cheers

Ausdb

Example of a thread that needs no modification:

(My BFI extinguisher...which is taking agessssssssss to get filled).

head.jpg

Fammer said:
Example of a thread that needs no modification:
[post="57335"][/post]​

Mine looks similar to that Fammer but the hole up the guts of the valve was too small to suit the spigot of the reg. I looked at putting two washers in the reg but decided that I wasn't happy with 800psi being held by only one thread's worth of engagement. I also thought about making the spigot of the reg a bit shorter but decided I didn't want to bastardise a brand new reg (thanks GMK). I looked around Kewdale/welshpool for a place that sold different threaded fittings to make an extension so in the end, modified the valve of the extinguisher with a bit of bravery and a 1/2" drill bit. :excl:

Cheers
Ausdb

ausdb,

I don't really understand fully what your saying - you mean the 'obby' bit on the end of the reg didn't fit flush inside the ID of the head fitting?

if you take a pic to illustrate what your talking about it would help me alot.

pbrosnan, Where is Gryphon Brewing, I did a search on whitepages (and google) and it showed nothing. I'm new to home brewing so I like to get around and check out different places

Mark blower said:
pbrosnan, Where is Gryphon Brewing, I did a search on whitepages (and google) and it showed nothing. I'm new to home brewing so I like to get around and check out different places
[post="57411"][/post]​

I dont think he really has a shop as such. Hes in Bassendean. The best way to contact him is by email.
[email protected] <[email protected]>
His name is Neville

Fammer said:
I don't really understand fully what your saying - you mean the 'obby' bit on the end of the reg didn't fit flush inside the ID of the head fitting?

if you take a pic to illustrate what your talking about it would help me alot.
[post="57388"][/post]​

Does this help?
EXTINGUISHER_REG.JPG

Cheers

Ausdb

Back