Best option for a new fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendan_W

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently using a coopers fermenter (without an air lock). It's getting a bit old and and I'm looking at my options for a new one. I'm thinking either a standard plastic bucket type with or without an air lock or a glass carboy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the better option and why?

Cheers
Brendan

Glass will most likely smash if you drop it.

Plastic will be more likely to harbour infection.

Buy a 30 litre plastic canoe drum and be very thorough with your cleaning and sanitising.

Do not consider glass. For some reason our American friends are still obsessed with the stuff. But it is heavy, slippery, dangerous and a bugger to clean.

If you need further persuasion, just Google 'carboy injury' and check the images.

Go for a Bunnings water container, as per above, or take a step up and invest in a Better Bottle from one of the sponsors. Do NOT scrub them though, or you'll scratch them and be replacing it due to bacteria harboured in the scratches.

Even better still, if you can afford it, get into SS Brewtech stuff, which is the mutt's nuts no need to scrub and will last for decades.

I use an airlock type FV that I got from my LHBS, except minus the airlock and plus a piece of tape over the hole in the lid. I think it was about $30. Used glad wrap on one batch and the beer turned out shithouse. Whether or not that was the only cause I don't know but it put me off using it again and I went back to the lid. I've had this FV for nearly 4 years now and it's still in decent nick.

Even though it has a tap, I do transfer to a bottling bucket as I bulk prime and find it easier.

Buy a corny keg (preferably 25-30 litres). No chill into it, ferment in it, push the finished product out of it with CO2. Can't be easier to wash up, can't be easier.

AJS2154 said:
Buy a corny keg (preferably 25-30 litres). No chill into it, ferment in it, push the finished product out of it with CO2. Can't be easier to wash up, can't be easier.
I'm interested in slightly more detail on the fermentation side. What do you do instead of an airlock? Just leave the pressure relief valve open?

What about keeping the yeast out of the final keg? Shorter dip tube in the fermenting keg?

Winequip olive oil drum, perfect trade off between more expensive conical type SS fv's

I've got 2 x 50l and one x 30l, clean-up is a doddle and they come with the best taps in the known universe

Yob said:
Winequip olive oil drum, perfect trade off between more expensive conical type SS fv's

I've got 2 x 50l and one x 30l, clean-up is a doddle and they come with the best taps in the known universe
They have changed their web site since last time I looked. I couldn't find the olive oil drums anymore? Was just looking this morning. Might just go directly to the shop.

Just give em a buzz?

I find every time I walk in there to be a wallet lightening experience...

maybe someone should run a bulk buy...

not me.jpg

Yob said:
Just give em a buzz?

I find every time I walk in there to be a wallet lightening experience...

maybe someone should run a bulk buy...

attachicon.gif
not me.jpg
Out of interest, roughly how much did you pay for your oil drums?

Shit man.. Can't remember, think I posted the prices in the SS FV bulk buy thread, have a look in there (I'd work backwards)

Yob said:
Shit man.. Can't remember, think I posted the prices in the SS FV bulk buy thread, have a look in there (I'd work backwards)
Search the forums for "ss fv bulk buy" and it's the first result and gives me the exact page you quoted the price, winning
So personally including postage and a tap, I'd probably budget around $225 for a 50L

Link for those interested
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78871-ss-fv-eoi/?p=1184324

For general ales and stouts the Bunnings drums are excellent, but never ever introduce anything scratchy into them such as a Scotchbrite.
For cleaning, tip and rinse then hose out but don't scrub anything - just fill with hot water and a dose of Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan is 30% Perc.) and leave overnight - it will be super clean in the morning.

Clean fv.jpg

That one was disgusting the night before.

Rinse again and go over the inside with hot water and a yellow soft cloth ... you know the ones, pack of 3 and keep them just for the brewery.

Then remove tap, rinse out thoroughly. Dribble some Starsan into the tap opening and replace the thoroughly cleaned tap, Pour some hot water into the Fermentor where it will pick up the Starsan, then swirl and swish, pour out Starsan mix and it's ready to go.

No need for airlock, use the O ring from the lid to trap clingwrap and you have a window into what's happening in the Fermenter.

oxygen result 1.jpg

Mine's about six years old now, it's the original white model, never had a moment's drama with it.

Bribie G said:
For general ales and stouts the Bunnings drums are excellent, but never ever introduce anything scratchy into them such as a Scotchbrite.
That's exactly what I use. If you do have any stubborn bits you can't reach, chuck in a cup of rice with a bit of water and shake it around. Cleans without scratching up the plastic

OR you could throw caution to the wind and spend $810-1400 for a 65Lish conical, if your married this is the high risk option. If you have lots of drinking buddies $3500 will get you a 300L piece of shiny bling with bells and whistles to boot.

Note to self: first 2 ex wives left you destitute. Learn ! Learn! ?...

Bribie G said:
For cleaning, tip and rinse then hose out but don't scrub anything - just fill with hot water and a dose of Sodium Percarbonate (Napisan is 30% Perc.) and leave overnight - it will be super clean in the morning.

attachicon.gif
Clean fv.jpg

That one was disgusting the night before.

Rinse again and go over the inside with hot water and a yellow soft cloth ... you know the ones, pack of 3 and keep them just for the brewery.

Then remove tap, rinse out thoroughly. Dribble some Starsan into the tap opening and replace the thoroughly cleaned tap, Pour some hot water into the Fermentor where it will pick up the Starsan, then swirl and swish, pour out Starsan mix and it's ready to go.

No need for airlock, use the O ring from the lid to trap clingwrap and you have a window into what's happening in the Fermenter.

attachicon.gif
oxygen result 1.jpg

Mine's about six years old now, it's the original white model, never had a moment's drama with it.
I always use scrubby sponges...

There also is the pressure kegmenter 50L SS from KK

Tried to put link up wont let me search kegmenter

Latest posts

Back