Best method for taking samples?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1.0

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have been taking wort samples via the tap on the fermenting vessel to measure the SG but I'm concerned that I could be open to infections at bottling time. So far I have been washing the tap prior to bottling with a litre of boiling water - it seems to dissolve any sticky residue as well as dealing with some of the nastys. I also now have a spray bottle for no rinse sanitiser so that should help too. Is this how I'm meant to do it? I don't want to open the lid unless I have to.

Also, I had a bit if trouble with co2 bubbles on the hydrometer with my last brew. I tried giving it a good spin but still had bubbles sticking. I found giving it a water rinse did reduce the bubbles but can I trust the reading then?

I have always taken it from the tap. Never "knowingly" had an issue.

Edit - Just noticed that you are bottling from the primary. I don't do that as I transfer to another barrel and bulk prime. I find that way much easier and it leaves the trub behind. The tap in that barrel would have been sterilized.

Nothing wrong with what your doing. Take a sample through the tap then spray it with a no rinse sanitiser ( Starsan gets my vote). Keep the lid on unless you have to dry hop and then just be sanitary and quick about it.

If you're getting a slightly fizzy sample just let it sit for a while till it dissipates.

With experience you'll learn to trust your fermentation schedule and take less gravity readings. I take an OG sample at the start for reference and to taste and then usually don't take another for at least a week when I expect fermentation to be pretty much over. Then again, if I've created something really hoppy, I'm happy to take a sample every night, and practically snort it from the tube!

Your method is fine but give the tap a spray with starsan or similar every time you take a sample, so the nasties can't grow

Thanks for those replies. I guess whether bottling from the primary or decanting to a secondary (not sure of technical term? Is it racking?) I was still running it through the tap.

For interests sake, with siphoning I don't really know how to get the fluid going without sucking on the hose. Do you just put the hose all the way into the wort, put a clean (gloved?) finger on the end, lift out of wort, lower the hose end to lower than FV and let it run? Not really something I need to worry about now but we do have a nice glass carboy (no tap obviously) in the cupboardand I'd like to figure out how to use it best.

You can get an auto-syphon, makes the job really easy. That's what I use when transferring from the kettle to the FV.

Alternatively, fill the entire tube with cooled boiled water or Star San, put one end into the wort and your thumb on the other end. Then just lower the end with your thumb into the secondary and let it go.

+1 to starsan

I actually spray before I turn the tap too, the standard taps aren't 100% sealed on the inside. Figure it can't hurt any.

If you don't spray afterwards it will end up leaving a syrup behind and just be a pain in the neck to clean later.

Back