Best Kegs For The Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
Hi.

Just bought a kegerator from pinnacle. What kegs, ball or pin lock, are best?. I can get some ball lock kegs but with 'type 2' lids ie: no pressure relieve valve in the lid but a 100psi blow off valve instead built in. Am I better off searching for ones with a pull type reliefe vale for easy burping etc?

Cheers

Pull type relief valves are very handy Cube. Check out the AHB sponsors for the best deal on a keg package. Ball lock gets my vote.

I doubt you would get 3 pinlock kegs in the fridge as they are fatter than the ball lock and 3 ball lock ones only just squeeze in.

You could get the ball lock kegs you mentioned and buy new lids for only $14.95 although they are currently sold out. I have a couple of these lids and although the valves don't seem to "depressurise" as quick as usual they still do a great job. They also include a new seal as well.

+1 on the pull relief valves.

on a side note, does anyone lubricate the rubber o-rings on the lids and ball valves? i saw somewhere that they sell silicon grease for the purpose but no one's told me to do it before.

+1 on the pull relief valves.

on a side note, does anyone lubricate the rubber o-rings on the lids and ball valves? i saw somewhere that they sell silicon grease for the purpose but no one's told me to do it before.
Food grade silicon from the site sponsors desmo, I use it on all keg seals and o rings after cleaning each keg. Makes it easier to get gas and beer fittings on and off.

ftfy????????

I can get 4 pinlocks in a 282L fridge.

If you are using a mini fridge the shorter dimension might be helpful.
I like not being able to confuse the posts.
pressing the gas post poppet works as a vent very nicely.
Often these are much cheaper than ball lock kegs.
People never think you are talking about testicles, when you say "pin locks".

that's cool, but what does ftfy mean.....

Cheers all

Have 2 x pin lock kegs with kit seals coming as well as the kegerator. Will acquire one more keg as the brews stack up. Soooo looking forward to kegging now as the young fella who is one in under 2 weeks just does not allow the time frame to bottle :) hehehehehe*

*SWMBO totally agrees. She likes hubby looking after little one as well instead of taking over kitchen bottling :)!

Back