Best Honey for brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzfromOz

Reaction score
Howdy. Am looking to do a honey brown ale next weekend, but having never brewed with honey am looking for recommendations on a good honey to brew with.

Will add the honey in the fermenter at high krausen, diltued with an equal amount of wort before adding. Not worried about introducing oxygen as the yeast will still be active.

Currently planning to use 1kg in a 25l batch, but also thinking about maybe going with 500ml for the first time to see how it goes.

Any advuce will be appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon Strong uses Orange blossom honey, I recently bought a couple of kilo of just plain honey and was thinking of making up a mixture of orange zest just to give that slight orange flavour to it. If you are putting it into the fermenter I have read it would need to be sanitised and I think that 1 kilo into a fermenter is definitely to much. I am going to add mine to an Oatmeal Stout so I will look up later and see how much honey Gordon Strong adds to his brews.

Thanks for this. I'm actually using a Gordon Strong recipe, and I misread the volume of honey - I'll be putting about 450g in, not 1kg! He says to use Meadowfoam honey, but I've never seen that in Oz.

Cheers

Thanks for this. I'm actually using a Gordon Strong recipe, and I misread the volume of honey - I'll be putting about 450g in, not 1kg! He says to use Meadowfoam honey, but I've never seen that in Oz.

Cheers
No it will be a American one local to himself, to be honest I have even dreamed of tasting the Oatmeal stout with honey and the taste was amazing, suppose it was akin to a wet dream.:)

I just did a honey vienna lager with 500ml of a light blue gum honey. I added it at high krausen and it turned out delicious with a strong but good honey aroma and flavor. I thin k 1kg would be too much - my base beer was 3.5% and it came out at over 5% so a kilo would make a potent brew that might be too much honey flavour. I didn't sanitise or pasturise the honey and it was sitting in the bottom of a twenty litre bucket at room temp for nearly 6 months.

I just did a honey vienna lager with 500ml of a light blue gum honey. I added it at high krausen and it turned out delicious with a strong but good honey aroma and flavor. I thin k 1kg would be too much - my base beer was 3.5% and it came out at over 5% so a kilo would make a potent brew that might be too much honey flavour. I didn't sanitise or pasturise the honey and it was sitting in the bottom of a twenty litre bucket at room temp for nearly 6 months.
I have wondered about the sanitising of honey because I am sure I have read that honey has been used as an antiseptic or put on open wounds to help in the healing.

Back