Best grains to buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the actual cost saving of buying in bulk? I only brew every 4-6 weeks.

20141206_0640301.jpg
This is the stack of spec, though there's another the same behind it.
I went a little nuts

zarniwoop said:
What's the actual cost saving of buying in bulk? I only brew every 4-6 weeks.
the difference on base malt can literally be a few dollars.
As an example.
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/search?search=joe+white

You will notice the more you order the cheaper it is. Then you also have bulk buys on here that tend.to make it cheaper again, especially if you get on the splits for the spec malts

Generally in the bulk buys I haven't spent more than $2.50/kilo for base malt, and as low as $1.50 for the Australian ones. Specialties can get up to $3.75/kilo. You get some friends and split a bag, or many of the bulk buys have splits built in.

AS long as you store your grain in airtight containers it can easily last up to two years, particularly specialty malts. One year is totally reasonable for base malts. They need to be stored somewhere it doesn't get higher than the mid 20's. I just opened a container of well-stored 1 3/4 year old pale malt ready to chuck it out and found it was still crisp and fresh tasting, so I used it and the beer tastes good. Granted, I don't recommend or want to keep it this long, but it illustrates the point.

Bakeries often have buckets you can get for a few bucks. Places that sell moving boxes and self-storage places often sell storage buckets for a much better price than you can get at places like Bunnings. eBay is a good source too. Or surplus stores that sell the wide mouth water containers. I have some of those that make great storage buckets. Also chemical supply places go through lots of airtight buckets. The blue ones with the stainless locking ring are some of the best you can get.

Oh, and the mill question. I have one of the non-geared ones and it's great. However I do want to upgrade to one of the geared ones if I trip over a bundle of cash. If you have the money to spare, go geared. If not, there's plenty of fantastic and champion beers brewed on non-geared mills.

wow thanks for all the feedback. how do i get onto the bulk buys for base malt?
i will get a geared mill i think. sounds like an investment.
definitely will get some acidulated.

what are peoples preferred vendors for malt?

g

When I first got into milling my own grain, pre-FP times, I went with:

Base Malts
JW Ale
JW Wheat
Weyermann Pils

Speciailty (half bags)
Weyermann Munich T1
Simpsons Crystal Medium

That covered most of my brewing needs, and I'd just order little amounts of specialty grain as needed (you generally have to order hops and yeast anyway).

These days, I'd prob sub Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter for the JW Ale, Weyermann Premium Pilsner for the Pilsner and add a sack of Briess 2-Row.

what's the difference between maris otter and briess 2 row?

poggor said:
what's the difference between maris otter and briess 2 row?
Pretty big difference.

Maris Otter is a variety of winter barley, grown in the UK. It is often regarded as a premium ale malt. Thomas Fawcett take it one step further and employ a "floor malting" process to it. Most often used in English Ales where you want to showcase the qualities of the malt.

Briess 2-Row is an American base malt that is rather unique. Closest equivalent would be pilsner malt. It is very light in colour, ferments out fairly dry and has a fairly neutral muted honey taste. Popular in American Ales, where it comfortably sits in the background allowing the hops to shine.

So Spiesy,
what's the difference btw premium pilsner and Briess 2-row?

And btw Pils, boh pils, and premium pils, for that matter? (Other than colour, of course)

technobabble66 said:
So Spiesy,
what's the difference btw premium pilsner and Briess 2-row?

And btw Pils, boh pils, and premium pils, for that matter? (Other than colour, of course)
Hey Stu,

I'm no expert mate - but Briess 2-Row really is quite a unique grain. In the sack, it's quite dry and flakey. Has a pretty neutral flavour profile.
Premium Pilsner just seems to be a lighter colour compared to Pilsner, but it's a pilsner grain nonetheless. I always find pils malt to be a little "bightey", as opposed to an ale malt. But as mentioned earlier, I think there are certainly some comparisons that can be drawn between Briess 2-Row and a Pilsner Malt.

Other than colour, I'm not sure what the other difference is to Boh Pils malt - and I've never used it.

EDIT: clarified Briess 2-Row (as opposed to general 2-row).

poggor said:
Im thinking of stopping ordering grain for each recipe and getting some supply. What grains do people think i should have on hand? what are the most versatile?
Obviously some kind of pale base malt? like a pilsner?... and then?.......
suggestions appreciated.

g
When I got into A G I started with buying small amounts of this,that,and the other,but living 600 + km from the the nearest brewing grain seller didn't work.
Eventually I bought in bulk,25 kg bags,I started with 2 bags of TF ale malt and 1 of wheat + bulk hops.
I experimented with different amounts and combinations and was very happy with the results .
Having only 1 type of ale malt I was limited with style,so to save money I snaffled an unwanted electric wall oven,built an enclosure for it and started home roasting my own " specialty malts" in my shed.
My home roasted malts while not the same as the professional products made a world of difference to the beers from then on.
As for storing 25 kg bags or grain I use small 25 litre wheelie bins from the cheap shop @ $10/$15.00 dollars each you can't go wrong,with wheels on them they are easy to move out of the way and the grain in the bag fits perfectly.
So,grab some cheapo wheelie bins,buy ale malt in 25 kg bags ,home roast your own special malts and your set like jelly,and you save.
For home roasting have a look at. Barley Pop Maker.com
Cheers....spog....

:icon_offtopic: Briess 2 Row has very high DiastaticPower,Smoother, less grainy flavor,
read this article

My base malt is currentlyTF maris otter,plus 11kg tubs of caramunich.1 /wheat.with small lots of specialty malts.in screw top plastic containers got from kmart..also keep an eye for Grain Bulk Buys

just getting back to the container issue for base malts- what does everyone think is the best container for a 25kg bag of grain. and where can i get them? photos would be great!
Also, who buys their grain where?

g

Ok well then.

Here is a quick list of suppliers I have bought 25kg bags of grain from.

Full Pint - Heidelburg West http://www.fullpint.com.au/
(they occasionally run bulk buys on their website)

Grain and grape - Yarraville - http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/
Prices vary depending on quantity, but you get bulk buy (or close to) prices when ordering over 20kg of a certain malt

Core Brewing concepts - Dandenong South http://www.corebrewingconcepts.com.au/

They run a monthly bulk buy deal but it is targeting clubs or groups (10 bag minimum) but I think you can put your name down for less, it's just not guaranteed unless the quota is met by other brewers in that month.

There is also occasionally bulk buys posted on here.

I'm sure there is a heap of others but these are the people I have used in the last two years.

spog said:
When I got into A G I started with buying small amounts of this,that,and the other,but living 600 + km from the the nearest brewing grain seller didn't work.
Eventually I bought in bulk,25 kg bags,I started with 2 bags of TF ale malt and 1 of wheat + bulk hops.
I experimented with different amounts and combinations and was very happy with the results .
Having only 1 type of ale malt I was limited with style,so to save money I snaffled an unwanted electric wall oven,built an enclosure for it and started home roasting my own " specialty malts" in my shed.
My home roasted malts while not the same as the professional products made a world of difference to the beers from then on.
As for storing 25 kg bags or grain I use small 25 litre wheelie bins from the cheap shop @ $10/$15.00 dollars each you can't go wrong,with wheels on them they are easy to move out of the way and the grain in the bag fits perfectly.
So,grab some cheapo wheelie bins,buy ale malt in 25 kg bags ,home roast your own special malts and your set like jelly,and you save.
For home roasting have a look at. Barley Pop Maker.com
Cheers....spog....

Hey spog,
I have looked into sacks of grain. Nearest i can find is 400 odd km away (Townsville) but they are expensive. I get my grain from National HB down in Hervey Bay (800 odd km). For large quantities P&H is the killer. How do you get around that so that it actually is cheaper.

Cheers

wereprawn said:
Hey spog,
I have looked into sacks of grain. Nearest i can find is 400 odd km away (Townsville) but they are expensive. I get my grain from National HB down in Hervey Bay (800 odd km). For large quantities P&H is the killer. How do you get around that so that it actually is cheaper.

Cheers
P&H is definitely a killer,I drive to Adelaide about twice a year,when I do I usually buy 4 or 5 x 25 kg bags , that would keep me going for a while.if I ran out of grain of was running low I would do partials or full kits to keep the stocks up.

Cararaoma is a bit of a must have if you anything slightly dark.

Word of warning...if you chew on it to see what it tastes like, then be prepared to have a big bag full of it :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back