Best fridge option for kegging system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuperman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing for a few years and have always been a bit intimidated by the move to kegs. One of the main reasons is turning a fridge / freezer into a kegging system (buying the right gear, converting the fridge, drilling into it, etc). But, I must bite the bullet.

I've got a couple of choices for a keg fridge at home.

1) Old Westinghouse Silhouette Series II 423 fridge with no freezer - this is currently my beer fridge and has been fantastic. I use the top shelf for home brew longnecks and the other shelves for various six packs, singles, soft drink, and whatever people leave at my house. It's probably the best option for kegs but is also the best for that spare fridge that sits in the shed.

2) Old 320L chest freezer (needs a new seal) - could become a keezer but it seems too big.

3) An old upside-down fridge / freezer - it seems a waste to have the freezer running when it's not being used. I assume it will be big enough though.

Any thoughts on the right choice?

Is drilling a hole in the front to install the taps, and re-wiring the fridge really that scary?

Thanks for your help.

Delpy.

320 ltr freezer, will hold 6 kegs 18ltr and 2 9's on the hump

upside down, the freezer holds you hops

straight fridge is your fermenting chamber

drilling is fine

you can buy temp controllers

Thanks mxd. Was your second line an alternative to using the chest freezer or a suggestion for the "spare fridge"? I also have a bar fridge which I didn't mention is being used as a fermentation fridge. Fits a 25L fermenting container nice and snug.

I think I know what the answer to this will be, but do I really need a kegerator / keezer that holds 6x18L and 2x9L? (I assume the 19L will also fit)

Drilling through a fridge door is generally OK but be very careful drilling through a freezer wall.
A good way is to make a collar and mount the taps through that.

thuperman said:
Thanks mxd. Was your second line an alternative to using the chest freezer or a suggestion for the "spare fridge"? I also have a bar fridge which I didn't mention is being used as a fermentation fridge. Fits a 25L fermenting container nice and snug.

I think I know what the answer to this will be, but do I really need a kegerator / keezer that holds 6x18L and 2x9L? (I assume the 19L will also fit)
you described my set up

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1m6ar58p8s974p3/AADDdeLAwDHcziBzyUOTopjUa

Do you really NEED the capacity for 6 kegs ... no, but when you have them you'll use them ... I have in the past and am looking forward to again (once I get my AG brewery finished!). Having a selection on tap, and other conditioning is great. I use the freezer compartment in my setup for keeping hops, huge ice blocks which I use to help chill water for my immersion chillers etc.

med_gallery_31581_1212_61649.gif

I'd use the chest freezer to make a keezer and keep the large fridge for fermentation though. If you already have a small bar fridge that suits - and you only brew single batches, I guess you don't need the larger fridge for fermentation ...

I started off with a small fridge, big enough to hold 2 kegs.
One on tap, one conditioning.

Then the brew bug bit.

I know have a 320 ltr keezer with 4 taps, commercial glass door fermenting fridge and a small bar fridge to store my goodies.

Thank the gods I have a very understanding fiancée.

Answer to your question, get the biggest one you can cope with.
You're going to wish you did later on

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I think that I have been convinced to convert the chest freezer. I'm a little weary about building a collar, but I'll do a bit of looking around in this forum to get some help.

thuperman said:
Thanks for all of your help, guys. I think that I have been convinced to convert the chest freezer. I'm a little weary about building a collar, but I'll do a bit of looking around in this forum to get some help.
with out knowing your freezer generally you only need/use a collar if you don't want a font/tower. So you can wait till you decide on your tap set-up if you like.

To support the idea, having some spare space for extra kegs is perfect for lagering. If you can put a lager keg in the fridge and forget about it for 6 weeks, you'll be cheering from your first pour onwards.
I don't have that luxuary and have a tendency to drink beer before I should. Then 3 weeks later think "I shouldn't have been drinking this beer for the past 3 weeks".

Not the cheapest option but a Kegmate / Tomohawk type fridge with a triple tower font is a plug n play solution that will give you pleasure for many years. At the price, I bought a second one without a font and it's my fermenting / lagering fridge.

Worth considering: if you walk into Harvey Norman with $500 looking for a fridge that will hold three kegs the staff will gather round and laugh at you.

Wow, H0U5ECAT, VERY impressive.

Are there any disadvantages of going the font route vs collar? I'm guessing that cost is one.

font, extra costs and set amount of taps.
collar, cheaper and you can add as many taps as you can fit kegs.

But fonts look way more sexier. And the chicks dig it. :p

I know this is an old thread but thought I should share the final product. Thank you all for your help.

20140922_205023.jpg

20140922_205035.jpg

20140922_205117.jpg

20140922_205135.jpg

Back