Best element for a keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dae Tripper

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some help regarding the best off the shelf element for and old A type keg I am using for a HLT. I can go up to 3600w for it but I am worried about getting the wrong type. Any help will be appreciated lots!

I just picked up a couple of 5 Star Distilling elements that seem pretty popular. I went the weldless 3600W with SS guard. They don't come wired though so you'll need to get someone qualified to add a lead.

Electricians are pretty expensive, and it's hard to find a good one sometimes! I do it all myself, if it lets the smoke out just swap the wires around, easy!

Hpal said:
Electricians are pretty expensive, and it's hard to find a good one sometimes! I do it all myself, if it lets the smoke out just swap the wires around, easy!
Then how do you get the smoke back in?

Hpal said:
You can buy replacement smoke kits on eBay.
can you also get replacement life kits in case you are touching it when the smoke comes out ;)

Camo6 said:
I just picked up a couple of 5 Star Distilling elements that seem pretty popular. I went the weldless 3600W with SS guard. They don't come wired though so you'll need to get someone qualified to add a lead.
Out of interest, what does a qualified person charge to wire one of these?

Alot of people rate them but also need to factor the cost in of wiring them I suppose

For a HLT any 3.6kW WHS element will just about do, there is not scorching issues with just water. I weld a 1" BSP ferrule onto the side and use a screw in element. Before I fit the element I drill and tap some holes in the hex section of the element and use a small abs box and cable gland from Jaycar to protect the connections and also secure the earth to the element.
Dave

There would be a quite a few variables in regards to cost. Being an electrician myself, the box protecting the cables coming from the element will be your biggest extra cost might be best to get a sheet metal worker to fab one up so earthing won't be anoying. The connections, cable gland and cable is the easy bit.
Dblunn is on the right track as you can use the thead contact as the earth.
I shouldn't comment too much I don't have an element in front of me.

jonnir said:
Out of interest, what does a qualified person charge to wire one of these?

Alot of people rate them but also need to factor the cost in of wiring them I suppose
$ 80.00 for turning the alarm clock in the morning and then the day starts ;)

Hi, just a couple of photos to explain what I was talking about earlier on. The ABS box from Jaycar (cat. HB6120) was $5.95 so pretty cheap, also used was some hi temp silicone sealer. The element was from Ebay. The 1" BSP ferule is threaded onto the element, this will be welded into the HLT and used to mount the element.

The diagonal hole secure the box assembly to the element and the screw in line with the element terminals is for the earth lug. Important hint: if you make a template to drill the holes, make sure you flip it over when marking out the mating part or the holes wont line up, notice the extra holes.

I make no claim of originality for this design as I have shamelessly copied this from Nev at Online brewing supplies (nee Gryphon).

Regards, Dave

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

Can't go wrong with one of Nev's products.
The Brewmart one looks exactly like the 5star unit but without the optional SS guard and tri clover cover.

Dunno the diameter of your keg but best check that the element isn't too long to fit.

Latest posts

Back