Best Dried Yeast For Uk Ales?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roach

brasserie de cancrelat
Reaction score
i know it might be an oxymoron to some but what is a good dried yeast for English ales - Nottingham?

my starter doesnt smell quite right, so will have to revert to the dried stuff for pitching 2day.

I have never had any probs with the DCL SAFALE S04. I am using the SAFALE US-56 for an APA at the mo and it seams to be going great. 5 days in the primary and its still a big krusen on top and the airlock is still going nuts.

This is what the DCL Site has to say:

Safale S-04
English Ale yeast displaying fast fermentation and excellent sedimentation (flocculation) properties. Available in 500g packs.

Safale US-56
The most famous American ale yeast now available in dry form in 500g packs.

GOOD LUCK

thanks SJW - have used the US-56 a few times now for APA's. Might go the good ol s-04 if can't get the nottingham

Roach, I'm in a similar boat to you this weekend. My starter is just refusing to fire up, so if I don't see some good action by tonight then the weekends brew is either called off or a dry yeast alternative needs to come into play. I've been thinking the nottingham as well, keen to hear others thoughts about it.

No so fussed what it ferments like (speed, krausen etc) more interested in the flavour profile you get out of it. Is it much chop or should I just wait another week and brew with liquid then?

Cheers, JD

Nottingham is excellent for British ales roach. I have some if you need it.

C&B
TDA

Yes, Nottingham is good. Considering how warm it is, what about Danstar Windsor? Very fruity-estery, very ale-like (but some have probs getting it to flocc.)

I have both at the shop

Jovial Monk

Thanks TDA that's definitely made up my mind. nottingham it is then!! - brewin 2day - would need airmail to make from your place to up here :p Thanks for the offer tho.

thanks for the tips JM. Unfortunately the local HBS only stocked the safale range of dry yeast. He wasn't prepared to get Nottingham since it was no longer available in sachets. Apparently they come in 1/2kg bricks and then require repacking to distribute in satchets. The HBS wasn't prepare to take the risk in opening up a brick to the atmosphere and repackaging. Supposedly they are going to release them again in individual sachets. But just like the US-56 who knows when??

Unfortunately your HBS JM is a little far away for me. espec on a day like 2day.

will have to put up with the 'boring' s04

Cheers
roach

Ah, damn shame!

Mebbe see you on Saturday at the Extravaganza?

Jovial Monk

roach said:
i know it might be an oxymoron to some but what is a good dried yeast for English ales - Nottingham?
Nottingham won't give you as many esters as Safale S-04 and is a bit more attenuative. S-04 works very well in Brown Ales and is also good for Bitters in my experience. Haven't used Nottingham but I've heard it's quite neutral (but not as neutral as Wyeast 1056)

Nottingham is neutral and highly attenuative and flocculative.

I will put some fruitiness in the ale even if fermented at 14-16C

Jovial Monk

'Flocculative'! What a word... :p We should start the brewer's dictionary... :chug:

Shawn.

Back