Best Commercial Beer I Have Enjoyed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Backlane,

Is it just my imagination or did Coopers SA really lose something after they dropped those original ring-pull stubbies. It's like the bottle made some kind of difference.

Or is it just nostalgia talking. :party:

Warren -

May be nostalgia Warren but think it's more than that.
The old Coopers stubby bottles were a unique shape & design. The ringpull top was easy to open decades before the twist top came along. The beer was better than anything else you'd ever tried. There was no Mountain Goat or Little Creatures back then, it was all mega brews.
AND you could make little motorbikes out of the tops- still have a couple of those somewhere, a dead art these days.
Mind you, you could also knit a kind of chain mail out of the old can ringpulls as well, and wear a shirt of 'em to the cricket or whatever.

Backlane,

Think Coopers dumping the open jarrah fermenters and using Conicals probably has a bearing on the whole thing too. Character is diminishing rapidly. :(

Warren -

Unibroue beers are near the top of my list, Maudite is probably my fave if the flying fiery canoe didn't give it away.

Other nominees:
Arrogant *******
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
Schneider Aventinus
Sam Adams

and Dark Isle Milk Stout from Tasmania I found to be absolutely wonderous too.

Currently: Leffe Grand Cuvee (Purple Foil Top)-Popped a couple at the Tropfest last week and got some weird stares from the megaswillers as I proceeded to pour it into an open mouthed chalise, :D
Chimay Cinq Cent
Duvel long neck
Fullers ESB (This is #1)
Hoevels(?) Dortmunder- Quite malty and soft
LC pilsner or PA for the really hot days

Just a few that come to mind

Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruit
Little Creatures PA (of course!!)
Southwark old stout
Emersons IPA
Paulaner Hefeweissbier
Grand ridge moonshine

Just listening to some Tom Waits...in "Frank's Wild Years" he mentions Mickey's Big Mouths. Made by Miller in the USA.
Anyone ever seen this in Australia? Little fat green bottles.
Half-arsed website here.

Ross, I've seen most of the Fullers' brews around Melbourne- at Nicks, or Acland Cellars...but don't recall spotting the Vintage.
Not that they would do you much good, being up there in Brisbane & all, but at least there's a chance someone is bringing them in.

Backlane Brewery said:
Just listening to some Tom Waits...in "Frank's Wild Years" he mentions Mickey's Big Mouths. Made by Miller in the USA.
Anyone ever seen this in Australia? Little fat green bottles.
[post="51944"][/post]​
BB,

Saw some a few years ago in Newcastle. Bought one. Fairly malty but a bit thin. Prob a bit of corn, too. It was a while back...
Apparently true to style for a malt liquor. Good drunken beer. Prob priced a lot better in the US.
Big fat screw top lid. Sealed OK with some of my beer in it.
Some gold embossing on the label. Prob to make U feel that U bought quality.

Time for me to have a few 3 yr old Coopers Sparkling Ales now. Bye. :chug:

Hi Ho from Uncle Seth :p

Ross said:
Doeas anyone know if you can get Fullers Vintage Ale here in Aus?

http://www.beer-pages.com/notes/brewery.php?id=fullers

Sounds like a top drop... :chug:
[post="51946"][/post]​

If anyone really (and i mean really) wants a bottle, I can probably get it to them. PM me if you're seriously interested and i'll look into postage costs. I cant imagine it will end up cheap in AUD though. I've got a couple of the 2004 vintage laying around.

kook,

thanks for the offer, :D but I've checked into freight costs before & they're ridiculous...
i'll be over in July, so I'll have a look then.....

Cheers... :chug:

Have to vote for Fullers ESB, Hoegaarden Forbidden fruit, Rochefort 10, Schneider Weisse and Aventinus, Koestritzer Schwarzbier and Grumpy's Red Baron 80/- and Grumpy's Biggles ESB (sorry, couldn't help myself)

tdh

i'd put the red baron up there with the best.

/me ducks to avoid getting knocked over by tdh's swelling head :p

Jayse

Delerium Tremens would have to be my favourite at the moment. Only tried one stubbie. Fabulous opaque white marbly bottle with pink elephants on the label. Thought it was a bit of a laugh when I first saw it. Belgian strong ale 9%

The slight alcohol aftertaste put me off a little at first sip. Unlike Chimay Grand Reserve and even Grand Ridge Moonshine, where the alcohol is hidden, there is obviously no attempt to hide it here, yet it has a ton of body to it, and a nice complex blend of flavours. DT is a serious beer.

The same Belgian brewery has another beer called La Guillotine - also 9%. I'll get one of each on Saturday on the way home from the Rosstown where they have Hightail on tap.

Funny you should mention Mickeys. When I was in college I drank it all the time. They usually just come in 40oz and are very popular in the urban areas around here. eg Ghetto Their individual bottles are called Grenades b/c they are shaped and look exactly like them.

My advice, stay away from this swill. Their are much better and tastier ways of getting the job done that this stuff.

Just had this loot arrive in the post.

1990 Chimay Blue
1990 Thomas Hardys Ale
2004? 2005? Chimay Doree

I've got an '81 Hardys on the way too. Be interesting to do a comparison between a 24, 15 and 2 year old bottle :)

loot.jpg

kook,

If you want a 2nd opinion then hold out till july & I'll taste them with you :beer: :beer: :D

Maybe of interest to some.

At work we have an informal beer club. 2 or 3 times a year well do a bulk purchase of an assortment of beer, then break the cases down and each member gets 1 or 2 cases of mixed beer. Its a great way to taste heaps of new beers, and the buying power means you get great prices. (plus you get everyone to save the empty bottles !!)

In 2003 we had 12 members. Our xmas 2004 buy up had 24 members with others knocking on the door. It works in multiples of 12. With 24 members it meant we bought 48 cases of premium/boutique beer !!

One of the things we try and do is to get every one to rate the beers. In 2003 we only got a few rating sheets back. Last year we threatened members with expulsion if they didnt fill it in, so got a good sample back. It is attached below. Makes for some interesting reading.
View attachment Beer_Club_ratings_03_04.xls
We threw 2 Belgiums into the last xmas buy up, and they came in number one and two on the ratings, which wasnt that much of a surprise. The Mountain Goat was not much behind them though with the Hightail Ale coming in at 3. For anyone that hasnt tried this yet its a beautiful beer.

We are currently in the middle of our winter buy up. Just to make everyone jealous attached is the list. I cant wait. Will post the ratings on these when in.
View attachment Belgium_Buy_up_05.xls

C&B - Richard.

I dont often buy beer but I do remember enjoying a Warsteiner immensley in the local absinthe bar one night. Maybe it was all the absinthe fumes in there :blink: .
I remember so looking forward to a Chimay blue and being rather dissapointed. I will give it another go one day as I dont think I am being fair to it.

cheers
johnno

Back