Best Bulk Hops Buying - Local Or O/s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartsHomeBrew

Reaction score
Been trying to respond to an earlier thread on this topic but for some reason cannot.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=57713
Hoping for some feedback on where best to make the purchase from. A local Victorian seller on eBay, "corebrewingconcepts" has some varieties selling by kg. Discussions on the earlier thread I was reading frequently mention Ellerslie as a reliable local source, as well as Niko & Hops Direct from the US. There are others of course, I just want to be sure I am getting reliable quality at reasonable price. Am leaning towards Niko which is well regarded but would be happy to support a local seller if one comes well recommended. Any tips Out there for me?
Cheers, Martin

Been trying to respond to an earlier thread on this topic but for some reason cannot.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=57713
Hoping for some feedback on where best to make the purchase from. A local Victorian seller on eBay, "corebrewingconcepts" has some varieties selling by kg. Discussions on the earlier thread I was reading frequently mention Ellerslie as a reliable local source, as well as Niko & Hops Direct from the US. There are others of course, I just want to be sure I am getting reliable quality at reasonable price. Am leaning towards Niko which is well regarded but would be happy to support a local seller if one comes well recommended. Any tips Out there for me?
Cheers, Martin

Also check out Jeff at Yakima Valley Hops
http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com

I've used Niko and Yakima Valley Hops and been very happy with quality and price with both suppliers.

Also check out Jeff at Yakima Valley Hops
http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com

I've used Niko and Yakima Valley Hops and been very happy with quality and price with both suppliers.

Have used Hops Direct and was extremely happy with both product and service.

More about what you want to spend and how much hops you want, buying from the states is great value if you can make use of 1 1/2 kg of hops in a
reasonable amount of time. US options seem to work out about $4.00 per 100gm, half or less what you pay local, but will cost you $60-$70 up front.

edit: spelling

Have used Hops Direct and was extremely happy with both product and service.

More about what you want to spend and how much hops you want, buying from the states is great value if you can make use of 1 1/2 kg of hops in a
reasonable amount of time. US options seem to work out about $4.00 per 100gm, half or less what you pay local, but will cost you $60-$70 up front.

edit: spelling
If a reasonable amount of time could be between now and Xmas then I will go with hops direct or Niko unless there is an equally reliable local source. Price is a factor for me as much as quality, Although the prices you mention Yumbeer are similar from this ebay source in Lyndhurst... http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/corebrewingconc...sid=p4340.l2562
My aim is to continuously brew in both fermenters from now on to try different styles and gain experience. I guess in that case I'd also be after yeasts and other ingredients as well, some of which such as dextrose obviously to be bought locally due to quantities needed. I've been reading the thread about Neill's Centenarillo Ale which I want to try, which started me looking for bulk supplies. It's helpful to verify the quality before making the purchase. Thanks for the feedbacks thus far... :)

If a reasonable amount of time could be between now and Xmas then I will go with hops direct or Niko unless there is an equally reliable local source. Price is a factor for me as much as quality, Although the prices you mention Yumbeer are similar from this ebay source in Lyndhurst... http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/corebrewingconc...sid=p4340.l2562
My aim is to continuously brew in both fermenters from now on to try different styles and gain experience. I guess in that case I'd also be after yeasts and other ingredients as well, some of which such as dextrose obviously to be bought locally due to quantities needed. I've been reading the thread about Neill's Centenarillo Ale which I want to try, which started me looking for bulk supplies. It's helpful to verify the quality before making the purchase. Thanks for the feedbacks thus far... :)

Thos eprices are similar but 1kg of hops is a bloody lot to get through of 1 variety.
With the US hops you can have 7 differnent varieties and half a pound(450gm) of each.

Thanks yum beer, that clarifies the issue well. US order it shall be. Malted, well said. :lol: Justification must be carefully worded so as to sound responsible. But this is a mlange of science and art. The actual drinking part is an "unfortunate" but necessary part of refining the craft. I'd avoid it if I could... B)

My 2 cents worth.... Niko have some great value specials from time to time, and I hae been happy with their service.

Locally, I have used Ellerslie on three occasions, and they are also excellent to deal with.

Thanks yum beer, that clarifies the issue well. US order it shall be. Malted, well said. :lol: Justification must be carefully worded so as to sound responsible. But this is a mlange of science and art. The actual drinking part is an "unfortunate" but necessary part of refining the craft. I'd avoid it if I could... B)

I just noticed this post. I have bought from Niko and Hops Direct. Hops Direct product was in foil packets, Niko was in plastic.

my humble advice... get a mate or two and get a mixed bag from Jeff @ Yakima

I just noticed this post. I have bought from Niko and Hops Direct. Hops Direct product was in foil packets, Niko was in plastic.
In one of his most recent posts here Niko was talking about the new foil (mylar?) packs that they'll be using for new stock from now on.
I think Yakima still use home-type clear bags for vacuum packaging.

In one of his most recent posts here Niko was talking about the new foil (mylar?) packs that they'll be using for new stock from now on.
I think Yakima still use home-type clear bags for vacuum packaging.

For those shopping for hops, have just been comparing Hops direct, Nikobrew and Yakimavalley. Prices for Nikobrew seem to be somewhat higher than the other two for most varieties, in many cases several dollars per pound difference. Also, hopsdirect seems to have no info about shipping at all on the website. Shipping prices for the latter two are similar. All things being equal, looks like about ten bucks + saving at Yakima for a 4 pound purchase at this moment.

there is other hop seller's we can get hops from i am waiting delivery from this supplier.he comes back online about the 18th Dec

Great, looks promising, may I ask what kind of prices paid for certain varieties? Looks like most specific info needs to be asked for as I couldnt see an ebay shop or other external page. From what I can gather shipping rates look similar. One thing worth clarifying that im unsure of, does Aust customs allow import of fresh hops? I would have thought not as they are well strict on plant matter. Did anyone else purchase from this source before, and if so how was the product?

i bought pellets which is legal.i bought meridian/summit/cascade for about same postal rate as others and $14 Lb

I had very speedy service from WholesaleHops. I ordered these after ordering from Niko, and they arrived almost before Niko had shipped (busy time of year, granted). I also manage to get Amarillo and Simcoe.

Hops arrived is silver/foil bags. One was sealed, the other (2012 Amarillo) had lost it's seal, but who knows who's to blame for that (could be the supplier or Customs).

http://stores.wholesalehops.com/

Hops Direct Special

MLK DAY COUPON

Posted on 17th Jan 2013 @ 3:27 PM
MLK DAY BUY ONE GET ONE SALE! Buy 1# of our 2012 imported UK variety, WGV pellets and get 1# WGV pellets FREE! The Whitbread Golding Variety has a moderate aroma with herbal and earthy notes. The Alpha Acid is 7.8% and is commonly used for Pale Ales, and Wheat Beers, often used for dry-hopping in English style beers as well. A possible substitution or common variety is Golding.
Coupon Instructions:
TYPE MLK DAYIN THE COMMENT BOX WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER OF WGV AND WE WILL ADD ANOTHER POUND OF WGV TO YOUR ORDER FOR FREE!
*Offer valid for pellet form only
*Coupon valid Saturday, January 19th through Monday, January 21st (MLK Day)

:D

A little some thing to think about prior to your purchase, I approached a major hop wholeseller in the US about importing but they refused to sell, when questioned a little more they admitted that their hops didnt meet the Australian standards for pesticides.
Nev

Back