Best Brewday Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
...well a bit of a blurring the lines between yesterday and today but fk me ded... still counts I rekon..

Yesterday was a change in equipment as I moved to the new brown pump recirc / fly sparge arm

1.JPG

Then I changed my pickup tube in the kettle and the HLT (Not pictured but provides a more accurate measurement now)

Kettle yesterday
2.JPG

Kettle today
3.JPG

I was pretty gutted with my efficiency's yesterday.. I did my first back to back brewday and wanted to trial the new setup n such... anyway efficiency's asside I was happy with the process and how easy and fluid it all went, sure, I was chasing a few points and a litre here and there but I can probably put that down to not paying attention to detail...

today that all changed.

Given the long weekend and the extra time I did what any Auzzie worth his salt would do.... so when I ran it through today I slowed the fly sparge even further to 45mins - ish to final run out to the kettle, which was almost at boil by the time the fly had finished :D 10 mins ish from final runnings to having a boil on... timing is everything there. ha..

The refractomer told me I was at 1010 but the time I ran the last litre went into the kettle :) I got a better efficiency than I have ever done previously at 77% according to Brewmate.. overall Im pretty fking happy..

for the 3 brews I used the same malt bill but the hop recipe varied wildly with A. what I had in the freezer (devoid of everything I'd noramlly have on hand): B. what smelled good together : C. the most cursory research and D. a small portion of I didnt give a shit but was interested to see the outcome and also I needed to test the equipment

It all went so smooth and fk me dead recirc is a snap...

:icon_drool2:

I got 3 of these in the shed

4.JPG 6.JPG

this in the fridge

5.JPG

and Im a pretty happy camper :lol:

Hope your Easter Long Weekend went as well..

I even survived giving SWMBO a driving lesson

Looks like a great weekend!

Well done on increasing your efficiencies!

Whats the second wire in the fridge going into the vegie crisper?

Cheers,
BlackRat.

Lookin good yob. What's with the mutant 2-headed cubes though!? lol
That's a tighter trub cone with the directed pickup tube? Also, question re sparge arm, do you just put it in place when sparging? Whatcha using, show us a pic :)

Much better than mine, I gotta wait till I find a welder in the week cuz the silicon washers just don't stay in place to seal. Slow leak without :S

7.JPG

arm in recirc :icon_drool2:

ed:

8.JPG

arm in fly sparge... dead easy even without disconnects to swap over and not spill a drop... feckin love it

:beerbang:

only in place for sparging and recirc.. just worked out today that I should run the recirc in the last 5 mins of the mash... just for timings sake like ;)

D'oh! Totally forgot about your other thread. Nice work bro.

Happy days on your brewday, what we all love.

Can't comment on the driving lesson, haven't recently passed my test after SWMBO lessons! :wub:

always good to pick up efficiency. I dont aim high but I usually am consistent . The thing everyone has to do like you, is get YOUR! system working for YOU! now even if you have the same system as others it will still change but consistency will help you.

It doesnt always work out my second (well third as last one was side by side) was under what I always get and hit consistently. My last one I drained slower and sparged with a higher volume and got better efficiency then my normal. Mind you I was flying blind on my single batch system I done the side by side on and never done a decoction so I ment to hit 1052 and got 1059 but prob only 19lts in cube instead of 21. Never run the single system on my system side by side.

But close to 62lts in cubes in 4.5 hrs. 42lts of pale ale and 19lts of pilsen (could prob dilute the pils but wont) not bad I think and thats from filling the pots with cold water to having the pots sitting to dry ;)

But close to 62lts in cubes in 4.5 hrs. 42lts of pale ale and 19lts of pilsen (could prob dilute the pils but wont) not bad I think and thats from filling the pots with cold water to having the pots sitting to dry ;)

That's a bloody great effort! Nice one!

My system gives me 42L in 4.5 hours incl clean up, but I fill from the hot tap to heat sparge water. I think I need bigger pots and elements.

Mind you, I can have 3 of these batches fermenting at the same time.... ;)

The easter brew weekend served you well and top effort on it. Plenty of beers heading into the cooler months. Love your grain bin too :icon_cheers:

That's a bloody great effort! Nice one!

My system gives me 42L in 4.5 hours incl clean up, but I fill from the hot tap to heat sparge water. I think I need bigger pots and elements.

Mind you, I can have 3 of these batches fermenting at the same time.... ;)

Peaky, did you ever end up getting the pot you were after?

The easter brew weekend served you well and top effort on it. Plenty of beers heading into the cooler months. Love your grain bin too :icon_cheers:

Peaky, did you ever end up getting the pot you were after?

Ended up buying an 80L thin walled Chinese stainless pot from Wolfy for $50 I think the figure was. It's knocked out 8 double batches so far and is showing no signs of failing. The boil comes on real quick with the thin wall stainless! :super:

Back