Best brewday ever, dissappointing result

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
I've just completed my best brew day to date, ran like clockwork with absolutely no problems at all. I loved every minute of it. That is until I did the pre-boil gravity test...very low. Beersmith estimated 1.035, I got 1.028. The grains came crushed from the LHBS and looked a little underdone, but time was of the essence, so I went ahead with it anyway.

I went ahead with the boil hoping for a miracle, never got it. Once again everything went without a hitch, met my estimated volume within a few hundred mls. OG also very low at 1.033, estimated 1.044.

Looks like I'm going to have a very hoppy and bitter mild (IBU 33), rather than a pale ale. :( I don't mind the low alc, in fact I'm quite happy about that, just think it may be very, very bitter.

Disappointing result to a very good brewday.

You'll be surprised what some dry hopping will do to an overly bitter beer. I recently had an IPA that worked out to be 73 IBU (no chill adjusted). Going into the keg I thought I may have to dump it as it was so bitter. 20 gms each of Cascade and Centennial in the keg and it's turned out to be one of my best beers so far. My APA mids I have been making have been between 25-30 IBUs and that is perfect to my tastes. 33 IBUs should be fine.

I usually aim for an IBU in the mid 50s when I make an IPA, but it's balanced out with a much higher gravity. The reason I thought 33 might be quite high is because of the very low OG, was amining for a mid strength pale ale this time.

It seems then that it might be ok, thanks guys. :)

I'm with midnight brew, just throw some DME in it as it hits the fermenter. Use to fav beer application to work out exactly how much to add.

Bit late now to add DME. I don't have any and I can't get to the shop today, I think it's closed for ANZAC day anyway.

I'll just see how it goes. Starting to think it might be ok.

I think Bum was referring to the DME addition, not that you can't source any.

I'm sure you could add it high krausen with good results.

You could add it whenever you like - just calculate how much, boil it up in a smidge of water for a few minutes and Bob becomes part of your family.

Or if it tastes OK, leave it.

wbosher said:
I've just completed my best brew day to date, ran like clockwork with absolutely no problems at all. I loved every minute of it. That is until I did the pre-boil gravity test...very low. Beersmith estimated 1.035, I got 1.028.
What was your estimated mash efficiency before the brew? What mash (not overall) efficiency have you got in the past? What was your actual mash efficiency today? Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but could it be a case of expecting a higher yield than your gear and process can deliver? I only ask as I've made this mistake in the past. Fixed it by aiming a bit lower and adding a bit more base malt, never been a problem since.

Just a though.

JD

Crappy milling with un-crushed grains reduces your efficiency by exactly the percentage of grains uncrushed.

Maybe the absolutely bloody obvious, but! Your recipe, amount of grist, volumes etc. Maybe something is out of whack!

Screwy

how are you measuring your numbers? Hydrometer OK? 1000 in water?
Temp of wort you measured SG at? Compensated for that?

Nick - I think it was definately that fact that the grains weren't milled properly, but I just had to do it as it was the only oppertunity I had to put on a brew for another couple of weeks, and I'm getting low on beer. Just took a gamble, and lost.

Qwlkev, manticle, bullsneck and bum - sorry, having never added DME to an AG brew before, I thought it had to be done early on in the piece, never realised that I could do it whenever. Still unlikely I will be able to get any for the next few days.

jdw - I have consistantly got around the 70 - 75% mark for my last few brews, so generally aim for about 70%. This time was just a touch under 50%. Like I said, I think it was the grains.

screwtop - the amount of grains, volumes etc were spot on. Done this recipe a few times before, only change was the hops.

mckenry - hydrometer is two points out, I always allow for this.

Anyway, the more I read on the subject, the more I'm getting the impression that it's not too much to worry about. Might be a little bitterer (if that's even a word) that I had planned, maybe a little thin, but still ok.

Thanks for all the replies guys. :)

wbosher said:
Qwlkev, manticle, bullsneck and bum - sorry, having never added DME to an AG brew before, I thought it had to be done early on in the piece, never realised that I could do it whenever. Still unlikely I will be able to get any for the next few days.
No different to adding any other kind of sugar later during fermentation or even afterwards. Think of bottle or keg priming or someone adding candy sugar at the later stages for a big belgian.

I remember reading somewhere, probably here, that if the IBU is close to the OG, it will be fairly balanced. If that's the case, then this should be ok.

OG: 1.033
IBU: 33
IBU/SG: 0.922

Will probably be closer to an low alc IPA rather than a medium strength pale ale, but if it works out ok I might even try to deliberately do this again...add less grain that is, not waste money on uncrushed grain. ;)

If the LHBS is closed you could get BE or malt extract from Big W.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you're in NZ. You may know it as Big Double Ewe.

Back