Best Bottling Storage Temperature .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now that the weather is heating up and this is my first summer that I have been into home brew I was wondering about the effects of storing your beer.
I only use bottles and I was wondering if there is a maximum temp that they should not be stored over.
My house gets a lot of sun and really heats up something chronic when the heat gets up. I really do not have many cool places to store at all. I cover them and store them in the shed out back but its darn hot in there.
Whats the go on this? Can your brew get spoilt?
What about fluctuation of temperature? Like we have seen in Melb over the last week or so with a couple of fairly hot days then back to milder temps. Can this affect the brew at all?
Suppose I'll have to drink them quickly if the heats going to affect them.
. hehehehe

cheers B)

Jonno

IMO it is not good to store beer above 30 degrees celcius.
The yeast cant survive at that temp.

Try storing them in carbooard boxes in the laundry or if you dont use your bath tub - in there.

If going to use the bath tub - cut some timber to fit over the bath and store bottles under.
This will keep uout the light - again bad for beer - and in case one explodes - keep it under in the tub - also easy to clean.

I have stored Pet bottles under the bed before - impossible if you have a water bed.

Hope this helps.

danger is autolysis

vegemite beer, yuck!

really need to keep it under 25C

dig up some floor boards :)

Jovial Monk

Thanks for the info,

As I dont have anywhere cool to store and I dont want to drink vegemite (as much as i love it) looks like I will have to slow down till next autumn.
Hmmm maybe look arond for a second fridge.
oh well

Johnno,

This is a problem that affects all types of alcoholic drinks - beer, wine, etc.

If you don't have an under house cellar - I do! :D - then you need to think about where is a good, dark, cool spot in the house. Cardboard boxes or even better, some styrofoam boxes are ideal for storing your precious drop. You need to find a room and storage space that is near the centre of the house, and as far away from windows and heat sources as possible.

Think about the solar orientation of your house - find a quite bedroom or storage space that is on the opposite side of the house to the sun and then look for a cupboard or tallboy that is located on an inner wall of that room. Above the fridge is suicide for wines - the heat generated by a fridge cooks then cools the wine every day of the year - and people still think it's clever to design a kitchen with a wine rack above the damn fridge!

Cheers,

TL

another storage question.

can i cold condition my ales under the house in a cool spot (10 - 14 deg) as i dont have a CC fridge yet, and i dont need to bottle this next brew just yet

cheers
crackers

You have a cellar Trough Lolly?
I'll love that !

crackers said:
another storage question.

can i cold condition my ales under the house in a cool spot (10 - 14 deg) as i dont have a CC fridge yet, and i dont need to bottle this next brew just yet

cheers
crackers
Crackers,

If you have a spot that stays between 10 and 14C during this time of the year, you are a very lucky person! That is an ideal temp range for cool (not necessarily cold) conditioning - you should still get the desired result.

Are you storing an ale or lager? If you are lagering, it is better to get a fridge and turn it down to around 6 - 8C to get the most out of a lager. The sheer volume of 23L of wort in the average fridge turned down to minimum cooling should result in a steady 8 degrees C after a day or two.

Cheers,

TL

thanks TL

brewing ales
under the house, half is storage room, other is accessable ventallation under the floorboards, dark and a cool area.
thought of brewing flat out and storing them until i need to bottle.

ps im on the nw coast of tassie, its not too bad at the moment, but still very cool once the sun goes down.

cheers, off to buy jerry cans.
crackers

Batz said:
You have a cellar Trough Lolly?
I'll love that !
Yeah, it was a fluke buy!

We were looking for somewhere in Canberra to rent (we were selling our townhouse and looking to move into a proper home, back in 1999 when Canberra house prices were low). Whilst we were pleading with the rental managers for a house to rent, next to no vacancies at that time, we decided to go for a drive to see what was on the market.

We found this place open for inspection - it was way to expensive, too big for us (no kids yet) and had an inground pool which meant lots of maintenance. Grrrr....

Then I found the cellar - fully dug in with an 8 foot roof by the builder/owner, paved floor, timber wineracks (1000 bottle capacity) and a built in bar that seats four comfortably!

SOLD to us that weekend! :p

All I need is a kegging fridge and an AG setup and I'm ready for the nuclear winter!! ;)

Cheers,

TL

Ahh.......a cellar. Thats perfect.
Nah, my house faces west. Get the sun from the morning to the night full on. Starts in the backyard about 7 am then just goes over the house all day. The shed out the back gets it all as well, especially the arvo sun.. Small inner suburban house with no cool spots at all.
Coolest spot in the house last night before the cool change was about 32 C. hehehehe
I reckon it was cooler outside.
Gonna have to get another fridge and that wont be happening for a while so I'll probably hang off till next autumn.
Funny, its someting I didnt even consider. Just spewing about the 2 brews I have on at the moment. I've had trouble keeping them down to 22 - 24 degrees wrapping em up in wet towels etc. Suppose I'll have to drink em really quickly when i bottle em.

cheers B)

Latest posts

Back