"Best Beer in the World"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Anybody tried this?

Prancing Pony.jpg

Adelaide Hills beer named best in the world

THE expansion strategy of a boutique brewer in South Australia has received a massive boost after its India Red Ale was named the best beer in the world.

Prancing Pony Brewery’s 7.9 per cent abv India Red Ale has this week been awarded the Supreme Champion prize at the International Beer Challenge in London after claiming the Trophy for Best Ale Above 5 per cent abv.

The timing is impeccable for the brewery located at Totness in the Adelaide Hills as it comes just months after it installed a 30-hectolitre BrauKon brewhouse, which has enabled it to boost production to up to 3 million litres a year – 20 times its previous capacity.

“Yesterday the India Red was free for all the customers who came in – we were a bit over the moon,” Prancing Pony CEO Corinna Steeb said.

“We were brewing India Red yesterday incidentally so it was very befitting and we just made a double batch straight away so we could cope with some of the increase in demand that the beer will probably have over the next couple of months.”

The India Red Ale is based on ‘American Imperial Double Red Ale’ according to the British Ale Style Guide. With a dark red brownish colour, a firm creamy head and lots of fruity aromas on the nose, it has a big, malty body with late bitterness.

It was the first time Prancing Pony had entered the International Beer Challenge where its stablemate Black Ale collected a silver medal.

(more at: http://beerguild.co.uk/adelaide-hills-beer-named-best-in-the-world/ )

Yeah nah. Not even the best beer in Adelaide. Probably their best though. They do better than most at marketing themselves.

Are they claiming to have beaten Westvleteren 12? :unsure:

For me even the legendary Westy 12 would only take the cake on alternate Tuesdays, there are so many truly spectacular beers that I think its impossible to say "this one is the best" except on that day in that glass when you were in that mood, perhaps sitting across the table from that blond... way to subjective.

Mind you congratulations to Prancing Pony, nothing not shabby makes the top table at the London International - well done guys.

Actually of the three from Westy, I think the Blond is my first choice, the 12 is pretty profound beer, but a bit like port, not something you would want to drink every day.
Mark

Yob said:
Sorry, guy. Lost me at "pours like dark matter". Tossers.

But, the GTFO beer sounds great, even if I have to make it myself. Great Beer name!

Prancing Pony conjures this image for me:
Pony boy.jpg

Best beer is the beer you make yourself. For me it's my Schwarzbier, Dampfbier, Weizen, and my house Bitter, which I would hate to have to choose between when they are peak form.

Les the Weizguy said:

But, the GTFO beer sounds great, even if I have to make it myself. Great Beer name!

attachicon.gif
Pony boy.jpg

Best beer is the beer you make yourself. For me it's my Schwarzbier, Dampfbier, Weizen, and my house Bitter, which I would hate to have to choose between when they are peak form.
I take it that you aren't a JRR Tolkien aficionado?
Surprised that the Tolkien family trust or whatever haven't got on to the brewery yet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvO35MunzU0

Les the Weizguy said:

attachicon.gif
Pony boy.jpg

Have you been working out Les? Some nice guns you've got there!!

JDW81 said:
Have you been working out Les? Some nice guns you've got there!!
That's not actually me, guy. My guns are OK, but I have a man-belly and a beard.
Sorry to disappoint. Now put that fantasy back where you got it

Les the Weizguy said:
That's not actually me, guy. My guns are OK, but I have a man-belly and a beard.
Sorry to disappoint. Now put that fantasy back where you got it
And here I was thinking it was your mystical unicorn powers that made you the weizen guru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1BD2G8hrFw

Ducatiboy stu said:
Ummm....are you saying they are not...?
No, of course not. That would be like saying Donald Trump is only popular because he appeals to vacuous fickle morons.

Well, colour me surprised, in fact, VB isn't the best beer in the world. Dont those beer judges know anyfink..

6022-aussie-beer-chart.jpg

To me - and it's been years since I've had one so I may have some nostalgia bias - Aventinus must feature pretty high up there. The sour-sweet-dry over the tongue, bread, chocolate, banana and clove balance is impeccable and it truly evolves from first sip to last. I would drink that any morning of the week, not just a Tuesday...

Back