Best Barbecue Beers For Christmas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Been surfing the net looking for info on matching beer with BBQ tucker at Christmas.

Found this article from the Guardian newspaper in the UK - was published earlier this year at the start of their northern summer.

Thought I'd share it here for those also wanting ideas on beer/BBQ matching.

Interesting to see Coopers Sparkling getting a guernsey; and the Monty Python line that Aussie lagers are "like making love in a canoe ..." - I won't spoil the punch line.

And anybody seen the Budweiser Budvar Dark Lager for sale here in Australia? Says it "drinks like stout for lager-drinkers", mmmm.

BBQ_beers_for_OFM_008.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/201...mer?INTCMP=SRCH

In my lengthy history of standing around drinking at barbeques, I can recall not one occasion where I've witnessed a single person switch beers in order to pair it off with a food.
Maby the rum and coke or a glass of red gets splashed around as a ''digestif'' once everybody's stuffed with t bone, potato bake and mudcake, but switching beers? I dunno.

Maby I need to mix with more upper middle class inner city types.

In my lengthy history of standing around drinking at barbeques, I can recall not one occasion where I've witnessed a single person switch beers in order to pair it off with a food.
Maby the rum and coke or a glass of red gets splashed around as a ''digestif'' once everybody's stuffed with t bone, potato bake and mudcake, but switching beers? I dunno.

Maby I need to mix with more upper middle class inner city types.
Geez Dave, You sound like SWMBO, always complaining about multiple beer glasses next to the sink after a session. Whinge/roll eyes/scoff/complain/cry/accuse/cry some more/threaten/complain/sulk,etc.

how many times do I need to tellsya all beers need the right glass, as does a particular snag need the right ale, the prawns to the pilsner, and the ribs to the APA and so forth.

You crafted the beer, Dave. give it the respect it deserves and match it properly.
And iron my shirt.
:rolleyes:

Geez Dave, You sound like SWMBO, always complaining about multiple beer glasses next to the sink after a session. Whinge/roll eyes/scoff/complain/cry/accuse/cry some more/threaten/complain/sulk,etc.

how many times do I need to tellsya all beers need the right glass, as does a particular snag need the right ale, the prawns to the pilsner, and the ribs to the APA and so forth.

You crafted the beer, Dave. give it the respect it deserves and match it properly.
And iron my shirt.
:rolleyes:

You make a strong argument pete. So perhaps you can suggest a suitable beer for an upcoming occasion.
I will be having an influx at chateau Dave of 'her' side of the family this weekend for my young blokes 2nd birthday.

What beer goes well with 'a dozen or so guests you see three or four times a year and have **** all in common with?'

You make a strong argument pete. So perhaps you can suggest a suitable beer for an upcoming occasion.
I will be having an influx at chateau Dave of 'her' side of the family this weekend for my young blokes 2nd birthday.

What beer goes well with 'a dozen or so guests you see three or four times a year and have **** all in common with?'
8.5% Belg strong would be my guess. Give em a few,sit back, laugh and take the piss.
Don't have to have anything in common with them to screw them over !!!!

If anyone wants to bring over a case of Jaipur, I will totally fire up the barbecue in the name of science.

Ah her side... right. Something with ce in the name for appetisers, VB for main course, Tooheys Old for the chocolate mudcake afterwards.
Sorted.

Wife usually tells me to go get a slab of beer cos not everyone likes my beers. I'm not complaining.
Always a good chance to get to 1st choice and find an imported euroswill for around the $40 mark.
Pilsner Urquell, Hoey... common enough that they've heard of it, but something you'll be happy to finish the slab of.
whatever it is I always check that it's not brewed under licence.

Ah her side... right. Something with ce in the name for appetisers, VB for main course, Tooheys Old for the chocolate mudcake afterwards.
Sorted.

Wife usually tells me to go get a slab of beer cos not everyone likes my beers. I'm not complaining.
Always a good chance to get to 1st choice and find an imported euroswill for around the $40 mark.
Pilsner Urquell, Hoey... common enough that they've heard of it, but something you'll be happy to finish the slab of.
whatever it is I always check that it's not brewed under licence.

Your logic is flawless.

Lets face it. If VB is the 60 Minutes of megaswill, ICE (anything) is the Today Tonight.

Unless its this Ice obviously..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back