Best automated system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
Hi all, long time member(joined in '06) but have not posted on here in years. Have been AG brewing for over 15 years, but now looking to get into a cooperative with some mates and rather than teaching and using my clunky 3 vessel system, would like a more unified approach.

I have all sorts of gear, so don't need chillers, pumps, kegging gear etc so am not looking to factor that into costs...so, with a budget of about 2k, what would you suggest?

Considerations:
*Will consider second hand gear
*Needs to be at least 50L (don't need much bigger though)
*After consistency and quality (but not a brand snob)

I know this is going to be purely subjective so just happy to hear brewer's experiences.
Cheers

Buy a Braumeister!
Secondhand 50L ones come up from time to time for close to your budget (maybe sell a few bits you wont need and budget a bit more).
Of all the semi/automatic systems I have seen and brewed on I think the BM wins hands down. For starters look at the surface area of the elements, to my mind those 150mm little flat stainless jug bottom elements are totally inadequate and almost guarantee some scorching.
Have a look at the pumps, take apart a BM pump for cleaning, then try one of the others - just not in the same league.
If you want consistency, the ability to repeat a brew with 1oC and 1 minute confidence is a big step in the right direction.

If I had the budget I would be getting one of the newish little 10L BM's, its what suits my needs and doing a bit of brewing on a 200L BM means all the recipes would just cut and paste, good for what I want at this stage.
Mark

Last edited:
Check out the new grainfather g70, fits your budget perfectly [emoji106]

There's been chatter about people picking up the new Guten 70 litre, maybe check with some of them on their experience with it.

Alternatively can you simplify your current system and still get the volume you're wanting?

Post a picture or detailed description of your current set up and maybe people can help you with repurposing it.

Thanks all. My tried and true old system is a 60L mash tun (esky style) and 50L boiler with 2x2400w immersion elements. To be honest it's all due for an update and not blingy (or big) enough for a tech upgrade.

Interesting, just went and read the users manual for the G70, a much improved unit over some of the earlier ones.
They have at least put in a decent sized element (I mean area) to quote from the blurb "reduce hot spots/scorching" which has always been a bit of an issue.
They still appear to think that trub is strainable and that its hop debris that we need to remove, it isn't really if that went into the fermenter it wouldn't matter a whit, just messy. Its the condensed protein that is a matter of concern and needs removing, which a center drain with a filter wont do well.
I still wish whoever came up with the notion of their wort aerator would stick it up their arse and run it at high speed. Seriously you cant aerate hot wort, all you can do is oxidise it, one bit of kit to be avoided at all costs.

Better unit, still not a Baumeister but well priced for what you get, if I were to brew on one, I think I would take out the sight tube and put a tap in the hole and drain from there (or fit a T...)
Mark

Agree with Mark the cheaper single vessels have driven the price of a second hand BM down but they are built to last, almost bullet proof.
Here is a review of the G70 from David Heath, (if you can stay awake, he has been known to send glass eyes to sleep) Forced myself to watch it and it seems more like a promotion for the Brewzilla, obvious he is not getting any coin from Grainfather anymore.

Agree with Mark the cheaper single vessels have driven the price of a second hand BM down but they are built to last, almost bullet proof.
Here is a review of the G70 from David Heath, (if you can stay awake, he has been known to send glass eyes to sleep) Forced myself to watch it and it seems more like a promotion for the Brewzilla, obvious he is not getting any coin from Grainfather anymore.

Wonder who his new sugar daddy is - that he can then try to deny

I thought the overview was pretty honest WEAL, and he did also show the B40, so I think you are being a bit harsh!
For what it is the G70 is very expensive and if the heaters do screw up, it’s a throw away job like the G30.
The 2 cheap systems are just that. Both do the job. I built my second system out of a Digiboil body and just added what I wanted.
Having said that if I was in the market for a 70 litre system ( which I’m not)
I would buy the Cheekypeak Nano with basket add a pump and some hose and a PID controller (my choice would be a Smartpid). No dramas!
Everything is replaceable and if you want to expand you can!
I love my 36 litre system - I can do two batches ( one automated one manual) and can change out pumps, heaters even controllers when ever and I don’t have to pay a fortune to do it!
Cheers

I thought the overview was pretty honest WEAL, and he did also show the B40, so I think you are being a bit harsh!
For what it is the G70 is very expensive and if the heaters do screw up, it’s a throw away job like the G30.
The 2 cheap systems are just that. Both do the job. I built my second system out of a Digiboil body and just added what I wanted.
Having said that if I was in the market for a 70 litre system ( which I’m not)
I would buy the Cheekypeak Nano with basket add a pump and some hose and a PID controller (my choice would be a Smartpid). No dramas!
Everything is replaceable and if you want to expand you can!
I love my 36 litre system - I can do two batches ( one automated one manual) and can change out pumps, heaters even controllers when ever and I don’t have to pay a fortune to do it!
Cheers
Its called sublime advertising.:)

Sorry I disagree - my experience is he (David), provides good an honest reviews & I the conversations I have had with him (yes we have had conversations off line), I have found him to be a genuine and helpful person.
I know the KK stuff doesn’t get much of a run, but the new fermenter is about to be reviewed, so we shall see!
In closing I have learnt far more useful than anywhere wise (including here).
Cheers WEAL

I think you may mean subliminal.
Sublime: of very great excellence or beauty.
Subliminal: below the threshold of sensation or consciousness; perceived by or affecting someone's mind without their being aware of it.

I'm with Kenf, I find Heaths' approach a pleasant change from the excitable babble of some reviewers, and the video production values way ahead of others. He also mentions any affiliations he has so full marks there (a pity our politicians aren't so open and honest)
"Forced myself to watch it and it seems more like a promotion for the Brewzilla, obvious he is not getting any coin from Grainfather anymore"
Is this yet another "subliminal, passive/aggressive" attack on Kegland? He mentions Speidel, and Brewtools in the video but you home in on Brewzilla, I wonder what your comment would be if the Brewzilla had been replaced by a Guten? Let it go WEAL.
:bigcheers:

When he reviews (promotes) he stands one product against another the product is one that gets a favorable review is one that the company he works for is selling. In one of the other videos he does make a mention of the Guten under one of its other names Brewdevil, Hopcat, Klarstein or Brew Monk.
Even though the BrewZilla was copied from one of these, he mentioned that they didn't hold temperature? He used the same technique with the Grainfather promotions when on their payroll.
I also have the advantage of sighting some of his emails to another company.;)

I liked your comments based on the conversations we have had (David) about those same of companies- I would say two sides? Also to see those emails means you must be a lot closer to a certain company than you are prepared to admit? Finally he did mention his employer will be selling theG70?
Back to the subject at hand, after re-reading the original question I would avoid the “big 3”
And use the Nano 70 litre Triclover with appropriate electric heater and controller of choice (Grainfather connects are$160) and the 300 micron basket! You have the pumps etc

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back