Benefits Of Flaked Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Hi ya all

i noticed a lot good AG stout recipies use flaked barley. What does this add to the beer. Does it just thin it out like flaked rice or add some other flavours

lou

Lou

The flaked barley gives the beer a smooth silkiness profile. It is noticeable in stouts and it seems to take that the sharp edge off the flavour.

Cheers
Pedro

Hey brewers I got some flaked barley and am keen to use it. Dave Line's "Big Book of Brewing" highly recommends the adjunct though due to its potential to cause haze the book mainly talks about its use in stouts (where haze obviously isn't an issue).

Has anyone had any experience in using the adjunct and in particular I'm planning a lager this weekend and am wondering what a limit would be for a 22L batch which will probably have about 4.5kg of grain in total.

I'm assuming in using it I can just add it to the mash with everything else. Any advice is much appreciated.

Dave

mmm yes flaked barley is great for stout unfortunately I forgot to add it to the last stout I brewed a couple of weeks back!!! <_<

Took a recent look at my grain storage bin and saw the 1kg bag still unopened and emediately slapped my forehead.

I figure this means I should be in a good position to report back after tasting it with some further input on the matter.... :p

How much do you normally use in your stouts Devo? and have you used it in lighter coloured beers before? I'm thinking 150-200g shouldn't cause to much issues in the way of haze.

By the way isn't that a new pic for you? You play guitar? I just receently got myself a LP standard. ALmost as good an investment as my kegs :D

Dave

Dave, the accepted norm for a dry stout is to add around 10%.

Warren -

how does flaked barley compare to oats? Been thinking of brewing a stout with this cooler weather and have only used oats in the past.

clay

Latest posts

Back