Bending Freezer Shelves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
Is it possible to gentle bend the shelves in a upright freezer? The picture below shows the 3 shelves I want to bend, I am think of removing the shelving component and leaving just the pipes, then bending them either to the back of the freezer or to the side. There are only 2 small pipes each so I think it could be done but are they any fridgies out there that can confirm this or has anyone done it before? This will hopefully be my fermenting box :)

Cheers
Jye

65_1_b.jpg

Im not sure if its the same, but my first keg fridge was a free bar fridge i scored off a mate. My kegs were too tall as the freezer plate was in the way. So i bent it back down so it was vertical, not horizontal. The keg then fit. I had no problems, just had to be gentle. Hope i have helped.

Cheers mje1980

If the freezer plate and pipes are made of the same material sounds like it could be done :)

otherwise it's nothing a heat seal stick can't fix ;)

If you need bending done, get a bending unit like the one below-

Bender__Small_.gif

Man, that was a bad joke.

otherwise it's nothing a heat seal stick can't fix

Is this something that is done if the pipe breaks, in which case the freezer would be stuffed anyway?

Buy youself a pipe bender :)

This guy only bends girders:
post-1489-1132473437_thumb.jpg

Although I am lead to believe that he also likes beer :D

PZ.

"I am Bender, please insert girder"

"I'm Bender baby, PLEASE INSERT LIQUOR!"

No problem with bending, just with cracking/breaking/kinking. If the gas escapes via a crack/break the result is either expensive if repairable or catastrophic. This type of freezer (upright) is not really adaptable for use as a ferm fridge as far as I know, but what do I know! How about some of the more experienced replying to this thread.

I wouldn't do it unless you're just going to throw out the freezer anyway.

To me it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, and there's no advantage in using a freezer over a fridge.

Secondhand fridges aren't hard to come by these days, you can hardly give them away. A freezer is a useful thing - think about all the hops, malt, starter worts and chilling ice you could get in there.

I'd say put the feelers out for a used fridge.

Is it possible to gentle bend the shelves in a upright freezer? The picture below shows the 3 shelves I want to bend, I am think of removing the shelving component and leaving just the pipes, then bending them either to the back of the freezer or to the side. There are only 2 small pipes each so I think it could be done but are they any fridgies out there that can confirm this or has anyone done it before? This will hopefully be my fermenting box :)

Cheers
Jye

View attachment 4857

Jye,
Did you attempt this? If so, did it work? I've just scored a bar-fridge sized freezer and I was thinking of doing the same thing you planned to do.

Cheers,
PoMo.

I have done this before. it worked fine with my old freezer. just be careful and do it slowly. watch for stretching aswell. I managed to bend it back aswell and it still works fine. i wonder if ill be lucky a third time.

Jye,
Did you attempt this? If so, did it work? I've just scored a bar-fridge sized freezer and I was thinking of doing the same thing you planned to do.

Cheers,
PoMo.

Hey PoMo, That was a freezer from ebay I was looking at buying, didnt end up getting it so I dont know if it would work.

Good luck
Jye

I have done this before. it worked fine with my old freezer. just be careful and do it slowly. watch for stretching aswell. I managed to bend it back aswell and it still works fine. i wonder if ill be lucky a third time.

Ah, so it has been done successfully somewhere! Excellent. I'll give it a go this weekend! It was a freeby, so if I bugger it up, it's cost me nothing except a freezer I wouldn't have bothered picking up if it wasn't for this purpose anyway.

Hey PoMo, That was a freezer from ebay I was looking at buying, didnt end up getting it so I dont know if it would work.

Good luck
Jye

Cheers for getting back, Jye.

Back