Bendigo Area : Ingredients Sourcing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
hey guys,

Thought I'd make a thread for best locations to source ingredients in Bendigo.
Im doing a oatmeal stout and Trav suggested to get some Rice Hulls but im not sure where I could find these.
Do only LHB stock this or is it avalible throughout other shops?
If so is there one in benders?

also are there certain oats that people use?

gav

hey guys,

Thought I'd make a thread for best locations to source ingredients in Bendigo.
Im doing a oatmeal stout and Trav suggested to get some Rice Hulls but im not sure where I could find these.
Do only LHB stock this or is it avalible throughout other shops?
If so is there one in benders?

gav

Bushes produce may sell rice hulls, or try bendigo wholefoods for lots of great cereal adjuncts and spices.

I picked up some rice hulls last time i was at GG and will probably get more next time im there.

Kleiny

gav

gav, i recently did another oatmeal and used the coles no name oats, it was an ok tasting beer yet presented terribly, head retention was 90 seconds out of the keg. I put this down to the sodium/salt content of the oats, I used 15% off for the grist.
The packet states 5mg`s, but hmmm how does one know? Never ever had a problem with AG presentation until this beer. It well may be other aspects of the whole brewing process but I keep thinking salty oats!
FWIW, the grist was
75% Marris Otter
10% mix of Patent, Carafa1 and Bairds Choc
15% Oats
1x Bittering addition of Northern Brewerr
Yeast was 1084
5.2 buffer and a wee bit of carbonate in the mash

gava, some pet shops also have rice hulls. Produce stores in ballarat have them but will not seperate a 50 kg bale. vic.

Gava, I have a fair-sized bag of rice hulls at home that you are really welcome to. I will not be using these at all in the next while and they are taking up space! (No sparging.) I got them from G&G. Send me a pm in advance if you're going to be in the area.

Back