Bend It Yourself Heating Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus_grant

Custom Title Now Available
Reaction score
So I am almost up to the stage of installing a heating element into my Brau-clone...

I am looking the 2400W heating element at the very bottom of this webpage. Being 2280mm long it will wrap around my main vessel once and probably back towards the starting electrode. Need to do up some measurements but my question still needs asking.

Does the element need to be separated from itself when wrapping around the main vessel? Will it short out if touching itself or any other metal? I have done no work with heating elements so don't have any experience with these things.

Thanks,
Angus.

The outside of the element should be earthed. The conductive inner part which you connect to power is insulated from the outer sheath, usually with a powdered ceramic.

I think it would be best to try and keep the coils separated, but if it's a low heat density, it shouldn't cause any problems. I think my coils rest on each other in a couple of spots.

I would recommend getting the manufacturer to bend it for you if possible. The U bend it element i have has a no bend zone at each end which will increase the height of the element off the floor of the pot, requiring a higher minimum liquid level for operation.

If the manufacturer can bend in the no bend area the element can have a lower profile overall.

When i make another one, i will get it pre bent.

Best of luck

I think it would be best to try and keep the coils separated, but if it's a low heat density, it shouldn't cause any problems. I think my coils rest on each other in a couple of spots.

I would recommend getting the manufacturer to bend it for you if possible. The U bend it element i have has a no bend zone at each end which will increase the height of the element off the floor of the pot, requiring a higher minimum liquid level for operation.

If the manufacturer can bend in the no bend area the element can have a lower profile overall.

When i make another one, i will get it pre bent.

Best of luck

+1 and they are also a bitch to bend, you really need a 3/8 pipe bender to do a proper job on the tighter bends

cheers steve

Digging up a very old thread here but I am building a new Braumiser and was looking for some feedback on these elements. Have they lasted? Would anyone that uses one recommend it or advise against it?
Cheers
Neal

Back