Bench Capper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretto

Reaction score
Hi all .
just wondering if someone can give me a ruff price on a bench capper please.

cheers :beer:

You need the Super Automatica. $55 at Grain & Grape.

Best money you will spend if you are a bottler. Those ones you belt with a hammer are an accident waiting to happen.

yea cool thanx for that. what about a heat pad or belt

Depending upon where you live, a heat belt may not be needed. So tell us where you live, and the average temp.

One way of getting around the need for a heat belt is adapting to the temp by using a different yeast. Sometimes though i wish had a heatbelt, particularly in winter when doing an ale with a stuck ferment.

Will

hi will
im on the central coast NSW. today its about 18 degrees.
average is about 16-19 degrees. what yeast would you recomend. see im geting a kit tommoz and ive read not to use the yeast you get with it .

also im thinking a larger is the best one for this time of year?????

bretto said:
hi will
im on the central coast NSW. today its about 18 degrees.
average is about 16-19 degrees. what yeast would you recomend. see im geting a kit tommoz and ive read not to use the yeast you get with it .

also im thinking a larger is the best one for this time of year?????
[post="63820"][/post]​

G'day bretto
Night time temps are the worry round our way ATM
5degC at Wyong this morn.

Daytime temps are ok far an ale but you will need to heat/insulate after dark. 17-22degC best temps for an ale.
Probably ok for a lager if you're inside a house but if it overheats you can get some pretty funky flavours. 10-15degC best temps.
Best to keep the brew within a few degrees of optimum. Too low and in may get stuck(stopped part way). Too high you get undesirable flavours.

You could try Safale S-04 (English ale) dry yeast. It's a quick starter & commonly avail (most HBS) for $4 a pkt or cough up $16 for a liquid variety but nobody stocks it around our way.

For a lager try the Saflager S23 or W034/70 delending whats avail.

Coopers or Muntons Gold yeast are a few others in the economy end.

Heaps of good info on the forum here when you get time to search.
Good luck with the kit. :chug:

thanks mate . im at bateau bay..
i will just have to talk to the bloke and go from there

Additionally remember thermal mass comes into play. In sydney the night time temps get down to 7 degrees and peaks around 20 degrees. But inside my room stays at about 15 degrees no matter the time of day, and then the temp of the fermenter stays at about this temp.

The only ale yeast both liquid and dry (apart from Wyeast 1007) that can apparently deal with this temp is nottinghams (who bottoms out at 14). Depending upon the temps of the wort, you would most likely struggle with most ale yeast including Safale whos bottom optimum is 18 degrees. I tried 1056 last year at this time of year and it was quite slow.

Will

Wouldn't worry about heat belts/mats. Keeping it cool in the summer is a bigger problem, but they all seem to go OK in the winter.

I'm in Melbourne, and during the summer, I had fermentation temps up around 24c with the fan & wet towel (which only really gives you about 1 degree if you're lucky) and now they are hovering around 16c. I have a 20watt globe under the fermenter, but that only gets it up to 18c. I leave it off.

Back