belly button yeast beer....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
......To offset the taste of belly buttons, the brewers also added some flavours such as orange zest and coriander, along with a lot of hops. The final result is a Belgian-ish Witbier with a very personalised twist to keep things interesting.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/29/belly-button-beer/?utm_cid=a-vt-rr#6jzoNNwzGgqt

i do remember a thread about a female yeast "version" of this idea sometime back.
i would prefer to drink that one.... licking another mans belly button is not my thing....

Rhinoceros spoof, pussy beer, navel beer, beard beer.

Woopy doo. I'd try any of them once if offered but prefer good beer to gimmick.

Kinda getting a bit grosed out now. Is the competition who could make the most dirty disgusting beer?
Or. Who could drink the most dirty disgusting beer?

Then again stranger things have been done. Like Strawberry flavour concentrate made from the cultured bacteria of a Beavers arse I heard. :unsure:

It's yeast that makes every beer, and we probably don't want to know how it got there in the first place. Do you ask what people have done with their hands before you shake it? ;)

But yeah nah this cultural trend can probably end now.

It's just another way to get people like us (and the media) talking about a beer which would otherwise most likely be lost in a sea of others beers over the GABS period.

There are so many wonderful things to make beer from. Why waste time and money on anything else?

Hey guys. I learned to brew in this forum and due to life getting in the way haven't been back for a long time.

Couldn't yelp but chime in here. I'm one of 7 cent co-founders, i developed the recipe and did all the lab work to isolate the belly button fluff yeast strain.

Completely see why people see this whole thing as a gimmick, and I'm not absolutely naive enough to say it doesn't have some elements of that. The origins are perhaps a bit more innocent. In truth we are really interested in finding a yeast strain that is ours, a unique "house strain" that can't be found anywhere else. If you think about it, its a bit part of how Chimay, Dumpont and breweries of the like found their individuality and made their name before the strains became commercially available. We did swab other things other then our belly buttons, that was to start with a bit of light hearted fun.

The fact that we did find yeast in belly button fluff, that its genuinely unique and just happens to taste pretty ******* delicious amazed us.

We actually chose GABS to launch it so we could use their PR team, because hey we are a pack of lazy bastards.

So there you go.

If it's good beer, it's good beer.

Marketing is still gimmicky and the market is getting more flooded with that than with good beer. Chimay, rochefort, etc may have their own unique strain but they don't use its origin as a selling point - it was just isolated by brewing scientists (and shared with other trappists when they were in trouble).

Anyway good luck, hope the beer does well.

If the yeast is isolated, it should be fine. Doesn't mean this would be the only place this yeast would reside but just the place it was isolated from.

Who loves yoghurt?
Ever question where Lacto bacillus originally came from?
It's an enteric (intestinal) bacteria. Resides in 'poo canals' of mammals.

For food matching I'd guess pork belly might be the go.

Who loves yoghurt?
Ever question where Lacto bacillus originally came from?
It's an enteric (intestinal) bacteria. Resides in 'poo canals' of mammals.

Originally?

There are millions and millions of them, and some have found an evolutionary niche inside animals but I wouldn't say that's where they *originally* came from. The LB living on plants etc must be just as old.

Thanks for the comment Doog. I guess the whole belly button fluff angle does impart a rather questionable PR message to the whole thing though - "brewers are navel gazers" - but that's up to your publicity arm to deal with, I guess. (Which, considering how most breweries operate, is probably you anyway!) But as you say - if it works it works. I'm a fan of collecting wild yeast myself.

There are millions and millions of them, and some have found an evolutionary niche inside animals but I wouldn't say that's where they *originally* came from. The LB living on plants etc must be just as old.

I would. Its called symbiosis. Two organisms evolving side by side, each benefiting the other.
Are they really on plants? For real or from contaminated irrigation water?
I didn't know that.

They're on fruit - which is why ciders often go through a malo-lactic fermentation phase. They're on vegetables - which is how people started making pickles, sauerkraut and the like. They're on grains - sauergut is a kind of traditional acidulated malt due to the LB that lives on malted barley, Sourdough has LB cultures, etc etc etc....

Back