Belle Saison Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
Either I'm rubbish with the search function, or this is really new.

Danstar have released a dry saison yeast - Belle Saison.

Release is "Fall 2012", i.e. about now.

Retailers, any idea when this is due?

That is really cool.

I am keen to get my hands on this and the West Coast.

That is really cool.

I am keen to get my hands on this and the West Coast.

Agreed. I can't wait to give both a go. So the Saison strain sounds like the 3711 French Saison in description...not very much info in the fermentation temp range though.

Much excited about both this and the West Coast. Will be buying from the first retailer that has this available.

I was picking up some other yeasts early October and had a chat about the new yeasts about to be released in 11gm packs, BRY-97-American West Coast, CBC-1 Cask Conditioning Yeast and the Belle Saison. The following is an email I received later that day.
Cheers
Nige

Just sending you the information we discussed earlier today.
Currently we have the Nottingham, Windsor and Munich products in stock and I anticipate we will have the other new products available late November or early December.
I dont have any information on the new Belle Saison yeast as yet and am still in the process of obtaining information on availability but I believe it is on the internet if you would like to track it down.
Please let me know if you have any questions or queries.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Melissa

Melissa Cleghorn
Warehouse Manager/Administration Support
Lallemand Australia Pty Ltd

The Saison yeast should be here mid December & the bry-97 a little earlier.

cheers Ross

This could go either way. This is the mob that promised a weizen yeast and then delivered "Munich". Fingers crossed.

Nice Find MC, Saison is one of my Fav styles esp in Summer. Lookiing forward to trying this one

Rob.

I'm just starting to see the first reviews of this yeast from the northern hemisphere, where it seems to have had an earlier release.

This sounds promising: review on Jim's

This was slightly less enthusiastic, although he didn't push the temperature: review on BB

Either way, it would appear that it's not the Dupont strain given how fast it chewed it's way to the FG.

It may be a bit early to even guess exactly whre it came from, other than as is stated Belgium.
I am brewing with it next weekend, I may do a standardised beer with 100% pilsener (dingemaans) but most likely a pils/wheat/other blend. If I go strong I will hold at sub 20C for 2 days then let it run.
K

Plan to do a WLP565 and Belle Saison Yeast comparision next/this week. Love the style and the heat is right.

PS. Been away for two weeks and everything changes or have I sleept for 20 years?

Just grabbed some with my latest Craftbrewer Order, Can't wait to give it a spin.

Picked up a sachet this morning and I have thirty minutes to go on the boil. Can't wait.

I'm going to push the temps on this one. I'll probably pitch in the low to mid twenties and then just let it run. I'm hoping to get it into the low thirties.

My OG will only be around 1.042, but that should still give me around 5% abv if this yeast attenuates like I hope it will.

Ok, I pitched a bit warmer than expected - about 27 degrees. It was 29 after about eight hours and is now sitting at 30. I feel a bit naughty...........but I won't die wondering what this yeast can handle.

Krausen has come and gone within a day and a half! Despite the air lock going at a mile a minute, there was no volcanic krausen - it climbed about two litres above the liquid surface.

I probably won't take a gravity reading until the weekend, but I'll report back with FG and early taste impressions.

Back