Belgrave Brewer's Hops c/o Yob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics...
Vic Pale Ale.jpg

AJ80 said:
Am just cubing an American Amber ale with a healthy dose of Belgrave brewer's Victoria flowers. Went with warrior pellets at 60 mins, 1.1g/L of Victoria flowers at 10 mins and 2.3 g/L of Victoria flowers in the cube. Will be fermented with US-05.

I must say - having never smelled Victoria before they are delightfully pungent and fruity. Smell very very fresh and glad I've paired them with an Amber base. Massive thanks to Belgrave Brewer and Yob for making this happen.

Will report back once fermented and bottled. Quite excited about this beer.
The joys of waiting for bottle conditioning...

Now for the review: what an incredible hop. Have never brewed with Victoria before and I'm really glad I've gone with an American Amber ale. It has a really intriguing pungent 'dark' fruit, yet still citrusy aroma and flavour. Quite different and I'm really enjoying it. Really hoping my first year plant throws a few flowers, but I'm not convinced it will.

The freshness of these hops cannot be compared with commercial pellets. This is a freshness that only those who grew their own hops previously had access to. Would quite happily part with my hard earned for more of these flowers - well grown, well handled and well packaged. Thank you very much Belgrave Brewer and Yob for making this happen.

A quick question: why is it Victoria hops (which I believe are distinct from Victoria Secret) are not commercially grown more wildly? Is the plant itself not 100% agriculturally viable? Has me curious given how nice the flowers are to brew with.

Likely has to do with the commercial efficiencies of high-alpha hops. Since it's an older variety - which I would REALLY love to know more history of - it was probably developed in a time when aroma hops were a small sliver, if any, of the market. Hops being grown for late addition flavours and aroma has been pretty revolutionary for the hop industry. There are a lot of older hops, originally rejected for their "strange" aromas and flavours, that are being looked at again and some are getting solid acreage. However, that requires a local thriving craft beer industry, as in the States, for growers to think seriously about taking up space with aroma hops. We're absolutely getting there, or recently arrived. Apparently HPA is going to be focusing most of their energy on non-bittering hops.

AJ80 said:

Now for the review: what an incredible hop. Have never brewed with Victoria before and I'm really glad I've gone with an American Amber ale. It has a really intriguing pungent 'dark' fruit, yet still citrusy aroma and flavour. Quite different and I'm really enjoying it. Really hoping my first year plant throws a few flowers, but I'm not convinced it will.

The freshness of these hops cannot be compared with commercial pellets. This is a freshness that only those who grew their own hops previously had access to. Would quite happily part with my hard earned for more of these flowers - well grown, well handled and well packaged. Thank you very much Belgrave Brewer and Yob for making this happen.

A quick question: why is it Victoria hops (which I believe are distinct from Victoria Secret) are not commercially grown more wildly? Is the plant itself not 100% agriculturally viable? Has me curious given how nice the flowers are to brew with.
Great review... I plan on kettle & cube hopping a Rye IPA on sunday with these flowerz (blessed be thy grower and thy dealer).

I'll let you know in fricken ages for the review as well... :D

AJ80 said:

Thanks for the kind words AJ80, so glad you are enjoying the Victoria.

HPA pulled Victoria along with other bittering hops to make space for more flavouring/aroma hops. Landline did a segment on HPA and the hop growing industry and mentioned Vitcoria and POR being pulled. It was grown for bittering purposes, but as Mardoo said, it might not have been looked at for it's other abilities. Victoria shares the same mother as Galaxy.

BB, I have another 40g of each Victoria and Cascade and will make an Amber next weekend.

Just wondering what AA% I should assume the Cascade is at? I work with 10% for the Vic, perhaps 6% for the cascade?

BB, I have another 40g of each Victoria and Cascade and will make an Amber next weekend.

Just wondering what AA% I should assume the Cascade is at? I work with 10% for the Vic, perhaps 6% for the cascade?
Sorry mate, I did not see your post until now. Yeah, 5-6%.

Latest posts

Back