Belgrave Brewer's Hops c/o Yob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread rather then getting lost in Hop Dealz. Thanks Belgrave and Yob for the chance.
Below is the recipe I brewed with the Cluster. There was only 50g. Opened the package and the smell reminded me of my youth for some reason.

TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 88.9 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 11.1 %
50.00 g Cluster [6.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 36.1 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brewday was fucked. Why did I not think that flowers would block a tap?
I have guessed at the aa% I think, one pack had a number...

Anyway, to the beer. Nice firm bitterness, light aroma and definite Cluster flavour. The wife liked it too and could definitely taste the hops.
Lovely, would buy for sure.
Just burped and had another mouthful.
Again, very nice bitterness. Lingers afterwards. Nice one.

When using flowers I screw on a bazooka filter inside the keggle on the out tap.
Gotta love flowers. They can also work as a filter on the decant of the pre ferment wort.

Thanks for the feedback Indica86! Very much appreciated.

What do you mean that the smell reminded you of your youth? Dirty footy socks? Fresh cut grass after Dad forced you to mow the lawn? Something else?

I'm very happy you enjoyed the hops. We may have a limited amount to sell through YOB this year. A bit more from our harvest in 2017, and we hope to expand our fields in 2017 to offer a much larger supply in 2018.

Cheers,
BB

I did a dry hop with the BBHCOY Chinook flowers recently and it was lovely. I was actually surprised at how close it was to US Chinook, as my homegrown Chinook has been somewhat different. Great dank pine with a very present backing of fruit. I dry hopped the same beer with some Chinook pellets as well, and far preferred the flavour and aroma of the BBHCOY Chinook flowers.

Looking forward to the 2017 crop!

Mardoo said:
I did a dry hop with the BBHCOY Chinook flowers recently and it was lovely. I was actually surprised at how close it was to US Chinook, as my homegrown Chinook has been somewhat different. Great dank pine with a very present backing of fruit. I dry hopped the same beer with some Chinook pellets as well, and far preferred the flavour and aroma of the BBHCOY Chinook flowers.

Looking forward to the 2017 crop!
Thanks for the feedback Mardoo!

indica86 said:
Brewday was fucked. Why did I not think that flowers would block a tap?
I'm guilty of doing exactly the same thing, ended up holding a brewing spoon in front of the pickup tube to allow the kettle to drain.

Keg hopped a summer ale with 50gm cascade flowers last wednesday night. Had my first taste yesterday and the aroma is excellent. A really enjoyable beer.

I'll use the remaining 50gm in the kettle of another beer.

Will post again when I have a glass in my hand to give more detail on the aroma.

Have to say I would happily buy either of the varieties I've tried based on the dry/keg hop character.

Both batches that I've keg hopped with have had the freshest aroma I've ever produced in a finished beer. LOVE IT.

tj2204 said:
Have to say I would happily buy either of the varieties I've tried based on the dry/keg hop character.

Both batches that I've keg hopped with have had the freshest aroma I've ever produced in a finished beer. LOVE IT.
Thanks again for the continued feedback!!!

I'm very happy to hear the hops are proving to be a standout from what is commercially available.

100g of Cascade flowers in this.

Recipe: Golden Ale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann)
0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)
25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil 60 min
100.00 g Cascade [7.00 %] - Flameout

----------------------------

Put the flowers in the empty grain bag and steeped for 20 minutes post boil.

Wow, what a lovely cascade flavour. The aroma is there too even without a dry hop.

Lovely beer, nice and fresh. Thanks again for the hops. Would gladly buy any variety.

Did somebody not get some? I've still got a few random packs in storage I noticed last night.

Still happy to pass them on for postage and feedback.

Yob said:
Did somebody not get some? I've still got a few random packs in storage I noticed last night.

Still happy to pass them on for postage and feedback.
Were any of the packs left Galaxy? I'm getting ready to do my galaxy and Chinook IPA with the Chinook flowers I got. Would take some Galaxy flowers too if you had any. I was just going to use the galaxy pellets I bought from you, but keeping it all to the flowers would be good too!

What style/s do you have left YOB?
I'd be happy to trial some.

Postage to Boondall, QLD 4034.

Happy with Chinook mate... Could maybe throw them in the SN glass delivery?

indica86 said:
100g of Cascade flowers in this.

Recipe: Golden Ale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann)
0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann)
25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil 60 min
100.00 g Cascade [7.00 %] - Flameout

----------------------------

Put the flowers in the empty grain bag and steeped for 20 minutes post boil.

Wow, what a lovely cascade flavour. The aroma is there too even without a dry hop.

Lovely beer, nice and fresh. Thanks again for the hops. Would gladly buy any variety.
Great feedback Indica86! Thanks for sacrificing one of your brews with the flowers, and so happy to hear they made a great impact on the outcome.

Belgrave Brewer said:
Thanks for sacrificing one of your brews with the flowers, and so happy to hear they made a great impact on the outcome.

It was worth it to know the impact and the beer was never going to be bad, just maybe not great. But it is so I'm happy.

Am just cubing an American Amber ale with a healthy dose of Belgrave brewer's Victoria flowers. Went with warrior pellets at 60 mins, 1.1g/L of Victoria flowers at 10 mins and 2.3 g/L of Victoria flowers in the cube. Will be fermented with US-05.

I must say - having never smelled Victoria before they are delightfully pungent and fruity. Smell very very fresh and glad I've paired them with an Amber base. Massive thanks to Belgrave Brewer and Yob for making this happen.

Will report back once fermented and bottled. Quite excited about this beer.

Back