Belgian Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judanero

Yeast maketh the beer.
Reaction score
I'm keen to knock out a tripel, and came up with this:

Pilsener malt (Weyermann) 7.5kg (96%)
Dingemans Aromatic (0.3kg) 4%

20g Magnum @ 60
20g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 60
10g Hallertau Mittelfrau @ 30
10g Saaz @ 30

Yeast: Wyeast 3787
90-120 min boil
Mash in : 35, 52 for 10, 54 for 15, 67 for 90, 78 for 15.
Brewbrite & Yeast nutrient 10 mins before end of boil.
Ferment @ 21

~22L batch

Any advice/suggestions?
Any tried and successful recipes also welcome!

Cheers :beer:

Edit-batch size

Where is the sugar? tripels usually have up to 20% sugar that boosts the alcohol and keeps the beer becoming cloying.

Sugar and include a long beta rest instead of a long alpha rest, you want it to be pretty fermentable fg should be around 1010 odd give or take a few points.

Starting OG of about 1080, a BIG starter and I feed the sugar in after about day two of ferment.
Get yourself a blow off tube rigged up.. 3787 is a beast

Yep use Belgian candi sugar and use a blow off tube. Start your fermentation at 16 degrees with heaps of yeast and just let the temp rise after day 1. If your fridge cuts in and your fermenting around day 3 say, your yeast is going to drop out and you won't get the attenuation you need. Just let it rise even if it gets up to 26 degrees in the fridge.
I like the fruity flavor you get from 3787 but its a bitch to work with. Belgian Abbey is an easier yeast to work with and doesn't tend to drop out in a heartbeat like 3787. There was a good article in a past BYO mag all about Trippels. If you don't have enough yeast forget about it.
Here is my Westmalle Trippel clone I made from thehomebrewchef.com site. It's pretty much identical. It took me 3 double batches to get it right.
image.jpg

So Clear Belgian Candi would be ok?

Tazman-3787 has caught me unawares before (even with ~10L headspace) so I handle her with respect now ;)

Stakka-what sort of schedule would you suggest for a beta rest?

Gav-cheers for the temp advice, I've only used 3787 a handful of times and only ever @ 21 straight up so will definitely give yours a crack.

Any recipes anyone ? B)

30-45 mins at maybe 62 or 63, followed by short alpha rest maybe 20 mins at 70-72.

Cheers for everyones replies, just ordered some clear Belgian Candi syrup. Bring on the tripel!
:chug:

Gav80 said:
Yep use Belgian candi sugar and use a blow off tube. Start your fermentation at 16 degrees with heaps of yeast and just let the temp rise after day 1. If your fridge cuts in and your fermenting around day 3 say, your yeast is going to drop out and you won't get the attenuation you need. Just let it rise even if it gets up to 26 degrees in the fridge.
I like the fruity flavor you get from 3787 but its a bitch to work with. Belgian Abbey is an easier yeast to work with and doesn't tend to drop out in a heartbeat like 3787. There was a good article in a past BYO mag all about Trippels. If you don't have enough yeast forget about it.
Here is my Westmalle Trippel clone I made from thehomebrewchef.com site. It's pretty much identical. It took me 3 double batches to get it right.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
3 double batches to get right... Love a good triple! Any other hints/tips other than the above?

Latest posts

Back