Belgian Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Would appreciate some feeback on my next batch.

Im planning on splitting the batch and using Wyeasts Ardennes and Forbidden Fruit.

I might add some table sugar mid fermentation to bring up them upto around 7-8 %.

Recipe Specs

----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.0

Total Grain (kg): 5.400

Total Hops (g): 60.00

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7

Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1

Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %

Colour (SRM): 3.6 (EBC): 7.1

Bitterness (IBU): 35.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65

Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

----------------

2.500 kg Pilsner (46.3%)

2.500 kg Wheat Malt (46.3%)

0.200 kg Carapils Carafoam(3.7%)

0.200 kg Torrified Wheat (3.7%)

Hop Bill

----------------

30.0 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (6.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

15.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

15.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill

----------------

30.0 g Coriander Seed @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

40.0 g Orange Peel @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Ive got hold of some cracked what from the supermarket (husk free) that im thinking of throwing in as well. It does look like its been cut more than cracked though.

Im mashing in an esky still, any ideas on what would be the best temp?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

20121208_123310_1_.jpg

The recipe itself looks fine to me, I'm assuming your making some type of wit/golden ale? Doesn't really matter anyways its going to be a Belgian beer regardless of whatever style your aiming for.

But if I was you I would consider cutting back a little on the coriander seeds. I normally use 10 grams in my Belgian Wit, but I've seen people suggesting 20 grams before. In my opinion you don't want any spice in a beer to be to overpowering but rather complement flavors that are already present, you will get some spice notes from the yeast anyways.

If you really want a big coriander hit then go with 30 grams, the worst thing that could happen is you'll end up with coriander beer :p

Don't bring a 4.6% beer up to 7-8% with sugar. Bring a 6% beer up to 7% with it.

I'd advise to not use any spices or citrus peel. It's not necessary in most Belgians and is a trapdoor to success if done wrong.

Read the BJCP style guide's Belgian Ale section. Buy lots of them at Dan Murphys in the name of research. Know that you are making a Blonde, or a Dubbel, or a Quadruple when you formulate your recipe.

Embrace candy syrup - especially the darkened stuff.

Agree with Nick.

Make a big beer with malt, bump it up and dry it out with sugar or dex. Don't rely on sugar for the bigness - just allow it to help.

Add the sugar in increments once FG has hit (or thereabouts).

Hochkurz mash if you can - low dry step (beta amylase rest) followed by high dextrinous step (alpha-amylase rest).

Spices you could take or leave - for bigger beer of that kind I would leave. I also don't think, that if you do follow the kind of mash regime that I suggest, you will need anything other than the pilsner and wheat grain and the touch of sugar at the end.

Don't overuse raw sugar in pale belgians - use white, dex or candi.

. i have brewed belgians heavy with candi and dex from the boil have never needed to break down into ferment although if manticle recommends it then it sound advice experiment and see what works for you. Nick also right if your after a heavy belgian embrace the candy sugar/ syrup. given you wont be making it out of beet sugar but using this link you can make some in order to cut back on costs if that helps. http://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/201...an-candi-sugar/

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I will up the grain bill to around 6% then, Ive just changed my mill settings so im hoping to get some more efficiency.

I will have a good think about not adding the spices and do some research on Manticles mash thoughts, I had read about adding the sugar in increments before but had forgot, thanks. I do really like the Blonds so may lean more towards that (without the spices).

Was just in my local suppermarked and they sell inverted dark candi sugar!

Whats the thoughts on the cracked wheat for other beers?

Thanks

3522 makes a supurb Blonde.

Defiantly agree with you there! Made two batches with it before, first was excellent, second was ok but I dont think I handled the yeast right as I used a starter from an old (ish) slurry. Will spend some time building up a proper starter this time.

Back